Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-06-2011, 04:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Painting a wall that butts up against a popcorn ceiling...

I'm wanting to repaint our living room, which has a popcorn ceiling (and no, I'm not crazy enough to repaint the popcorn ceiling lol).

Naturally, I can't mask-off the ceiling when painting the wall. So, does anyone have a tip or trick to cutting-in the walls without getting paint on the popcorn ceiling? The ceiling itself is 12' high.

Thanks,

Andy

hikerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:20 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

what helped me was instead of trying to paint up against the ceiling i try to paint parallel to the ceiling about 1/16 away from it. if its 12 feet high no one is gonna notice anyway. that has worked for me for years.

DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DannyT For This Useful Post:
m1951mm (08-06-2011)
Old 08-06-2011, 04:22 PM   #3
Super Master Painter

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyT View Post
what helped me was instead of trying to paint up against the ceiling i try to paint parallel to the ceiling about 1/16 away from it. if its 12 feet high no one is gonna notice anyway. that has worked for me for years.

wow !!! .............you should be arrested lol ................ummmm just push the bristles up into the popcorn then brush out the line and youll be fine
Ole34 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ole34 For This Useful Post:
ltd (08-06-2011)
Old 08-06-2011, 04:27 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

With a bit of practice you can cut in a straight line. I never use masking tape unless I am doing a faux finish. Most ceiling lines are not straight anyway. You are better off following your eye for where the paint needs to go. Since the popcorn has a texture, Dan T was totally right in saying stay off the exact line a 1/16" . Will look wonderful.
m1951mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 06:44 PM   #5
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

So this is really about learning brush technique.
First- use a good one.
Then take a fair load and brush a long straight line about an inch below the ceiling line.
Go back and rebrush without reloading and push the paint to the edge of the bristles, and those to the edge of the wall in a long smooth action.
If the texture is uneven- first go down the edge with a putty knife to make a smoother corner.
Takes practice.
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:49 AM   #6
Drywall Texture Pro in Fl

Rewards Points: 150

you can always caulk in the popcorn and that will leave a straight line, but then you will see the caulking line where it is white, or you can run masking tape very carefully on the popcorn ceiling. and hope it doesnt rip down huge chunks. i do this quite a bit.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:03 AM   #7

Thanks for the tips.

Brushjockey, I have a couple of questions about what you said. I'm not clear when you say "...push the paint to the edge of the bristles". Can
you explain a bit more what you mean by that comment? Also, what did you mean when you said "..first go down the edge with a putty knife to
make a smoother corner."?

Thanks

Andy
Old 08-07-2011, 10:20 AM   #8
NACE Coating Inspector

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikerguy View Post
Thanks for the tips.

Brushjockey, I have a couple of questions about what you said. I'm not clear when you say "...push the paint to the edge of the bristles". Can
you explain a bit more what you mean by that comment? Also, what did you mean when you said "..first go down the edge with a putty knife to
make a smoother corner."?

Thanks

Andy
i may be able to help. load your brush and put a heavy line of paint just below where you will be cutting in at the ceiling, without reloading the brush you can now work back through your heavy paint line and work it/push it toward the ceiling. do not try to load the brush and stick it right in the corner.
going down the corner with a putty knife can cut some of the jagged and uneven textue out of the corner and give you a straight line to work agaist. i do this with a phillips screwdriver by passing it down the corner with just enough pressure to make a small groove less than 1/8". sometimes it may take a few light passes to get your line cut but dont try to force it and damage the drywall tape.
mustangmike3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mustangmike3789 For This Useful Post:
Brushjockey (08-07-2011)
Old 08-07-2011, 01:18 PM   #9

That first part makes sense now Mustangmike. Concerning the putty knife. When you're mentioning the putty knife, are you talking about holding it at a 45 degree angle between the wall and ceiling and just running it along the seem between the two of them? Guess this is one of those "visual things" and I'm having a hard time understanding where you're putting the knife (and at what angle it should be held).

Thanks,

Andy
Old 08-07-2011, 01:56 PM   #10
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

Basically you're just knocking off any stuff that is directly in the corner to make a good line.
Once you try it, you'll understand

Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
popcorn cutting-in