Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-12-2013, 03:47 PM   #1

Share |

Painting wall after drywall repairs

When I painted a couple years ago and did a lot of wall repairs with joint compound, I would still see all the repairs when I was done, even after priming.

This time, I have gotten better at feather things out so they blend in better, but I am concerned that if I prime and repaint, the texture difference between the repaired area and the rest of the wall will be off and it will stick out.

How do you best handle this? What if there are a lot of small dings in the wall that you used joint compound to fill: nicks, scratches, etc.? I have a lot of repairs that might be 2-3 inch diameter, and then a few where I had to replace some drywall that are up to 3 feet diameter, after feathering.

Thanks!

kah5683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:07 PM   #2

Priming can't help with thickness differences caused by compound that isn't smooth and flat. So it depends on what exactly you saw last time.

Normal sanding should get a competent patch job smooth enough so you can't see it. If you're painting with a sheen paint, then you need to worry about the sheen difference over the patches, and you need a primer/sealer or multiple coats of paint to cover that.

jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:26 PM   #3

What I like to do after a thorough sanding and wipe down is: Prime the patch/spackle/mud with a DRYWALL primer. Allow to dry. Then I spot paint those patched areas with the finish paint. Allow that to dry thoroughly. Now you have coated with drywall primer which soaks into the patch and seals it. You applied a coat of the finish paint to the patch which also soaks into the patch a bit and seals it up even more. Now apply your finish coats.......2 coats......and you won't even know where those patches are. Basically the patched areas got a coat of primer and three coats of paint.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
Sir MixAlot (04-12-2013), ToolSeeker (04-13-2013)
Old 04-12-2013, 04:30 PM   #4

This defeats the purpose of buying primer, especially for patching which is going to use a tiny amount of primer. So you've basically wasted 15 bucks.

You're saying the drywall primer doesn't fully seal the patch. But the finish paint does partially seal the patch, like the primer. So just use 3 coats of finish paint. Or get primer that seals the patch.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:49 PM   #5

Thanks for the help

Last time, I believe a big part of it was not feathering enough out from the repair. This time, I think I am doing much better with that. What I am concerned about is the spot in the middle that is pure joint compound. If I prime the entire wall and then give the wall 2 finish coats, I am worried that the TEXTURE of that spot vs the rest of the wall will be different enough - even with sufficient feathering and sanding so the repair is flat - that it will stand out, negating the hard work I put in touching up the walls as much as I did.

Am I being overly concerned about nothing?
kah5683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:10 PM   #6

Personally, I think you are worried about nothing. If it's drywall and you use joint compound or spackle to fix holes, etc. you will be fine with the texture issue. Now, if it's a plaster wall and you patched with JC or spackle, well, you can have texture issues because the plaster is rock hard and primer/paint won't soak into the plaster like it soaks into the patches, hence the difference in texture. Also, you have to have confidence in your sanding technique. If you feathered out like you're supposed to and sanded so the patches are basically "flush" with the rest of the wall, you will be fine. I find that a sponge sander is a wonderful tool to fine tune your sanding.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:24 PM   #7
Drywall and Painting Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnc View Post
This defeats the purpose of buying primer, especially for patching which is going to use a tiny amount of primer. So you've basically wasted 15 bucks.

You're saying the drywall primer doesn't fully seal the patch. But the finish paint does partially seal the patch, like the primer. So just use 3 coats of finish paint. Or get primer that seals the patch.
Primer has different properties then paint does. Alway's prime a drywall patch with primer not paint.

Secondly, The reason the patches are "flashing/photographing" is because the patch is lacking the number of paint coats that the existing wall already has had applied to it over the years. That's why you must prime and then spot paint the patches numerous times, so you can catch up the patch to the existing layers of paint on the original wall.

Last edited by Sir MixAlot; 04-12-2013 at 07:34 PM. Reason: spelling
Sir MixAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sir MixAlot For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (04-13-2013)
Old 04-12-2013, 07:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir MixAlot View Post
Primer has different properties then paint does. Alway's prime a drywall patch with primer not paint.
There are different kinds of primer. The kind of primer that should be used over a drywall patch is a sealer. If it only partially seals the patch, then it's not a very good sealer. Having said that, decent paint with sheen will seal the patch after 2-3 coats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir MixAlot View Post
Secondly, The reason the patches are "flashing/photographing" is because the patch is lacking the number of paint coats that the existing wall already has had applied to it over the years.
But she didn't say the patches were flashing.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:52 PM   #9
Rubbin walls since'79

Kah (if i may call you that!) I think what many of the responses here are saying is that on the patches that have a smoother texture than the surrounding area, you need to put a few extra and thick coats on to build up the roller stipple to be close to the surrounding area.
Takes a little bit of finesse and artistry, nobody said this was easy- but it can be done.
Good luck!
Old 04-12-2013, 08:09 PM   #10
Drywall and Painting Pro

And if it's the roller stipple that's the problem, use a thicker nap to prime and spot paint the patch before you paint the whole wall with the smaller nap.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:27 PM   #11

Quote:
There are different kinds of primer. The kind of primer that should be used over a drywall patch is a sealer. If it only partially seals the patch, then it's not a very good sealer. Having said that, decent paint with sheen will seal the patch after 2-3 coats.

But she didn't say the patches were flashing.
Flashing is a variation in sheen level. There are different types and different causes. Yes, OP is describing a flash. In this case it's a texture flash. The variation in the texture between the "old" texture of the existing wall surface reflects/shadows light differently than the smooth texture of the patch. I don't share anyone's confidence that multiple layers of paint will bring about a match. As one is building up the patch, and getting new paint on top of the old existing, one is changing that texture as well. It's called the cat chasing its tail.
Light reflects differently off of dense harder surfaces, like plaster, than it does off of softer surfaces like joint compound.
No one asked OP what type of sheen was being used. OP, you're only asking for trouble if you have a lot of patching and using anything above a flat. Even a flat will flash in the right lighting and angles, especially a texture flash.
Why are you assuming Kah is a she?
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
Flashing is a variation in sheen level. There are different types and different causes. Yes, OP is describing a flash.
I haven't read anything OP wrote that says it's a flash. OP only refers to lack of feathering and texture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
Why are you assuming Kah is a she?
I don't know, that's a good question! I did it without thinking.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:58 PM   #13
Drywall and Painting Pro

Quote:
Normal sanding should get a competent patch job smooth enough so you can't see it.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:08 PM   #14

Quote:
I haven't read anything OP wrote that says it's a flash. OP only refers to lack of feathering and texture.

I don't know, that's a good question! I did it without thinking.
It doesn't matter what the OP is referring to or calling it, OP is not the pro, I am. And, I'm educating you about what constitutes a flash.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
ltd (04-12-2013)
Old 04-12-2013, 10:20 PM   #15
Rubbin walls since'79

Truth hurts. Or was it Love sucks? one was made into a song..