Painting Vinyl Coated Walls - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-16-2009, 01:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Red face

Painting Vinyl Coated walls

Hello all,
I love to paint. I purchased a 6 year old Manufactured Home. I swear it may be 6 years old, but they built with everything from the 70's and used builders grade EVERYTHING!

I am about SICK of these vinyl coated wall boards with the nice gold fleck in them. I NEED to paint. However I am getting very conflicting stories. Some people say "skip it, it's a mess" Others say, "You'll love it, just prep correctly and you'll be fine"

My neighbors son painted his house (it's the same wall board) and used Kilz YUCK, I refuse to use that stuff.

Can anyone help on prepping and painting the correct way, so I don't have to redo it several times. Re-dry walling is out of the question, so it taking the seams off and taping them, they are staying for now. I just want to prep well and be happy with the end product.

Any info would be great....

Best,
Jo (the female variety Jo)

Advertisement

WiccanOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 01:46 PM   #2
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

Is this a vinyl wall-covering over "sheetrock" (so the wall is 1/2-5/8 inch thick before you get to studs/space/insulation), or that board type-stuff with the vinyl surface (1/4 inch or less thick)

Advertisement

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 02:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickshift View Post
Is this a vinyl wall-covering over "sheetrock" (so the wall is 1/2-5/8 inch thick before you get to studs/space/insulation), or that board type-stuff with the vinyl surface (1/4 inch or less thick)
Its vinyl covered wall board about 1/2 inch think, commonly used in mobile homes.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:49 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Wiccanone:

My understanding is that latex and oil based paints will stick well to vinyl, so I don't see very much in the way of prep work that would need to be done. I'd just try painting a small area, allow the paint to dry, and then scrape at that paint with a paint scraper to see if it comes off easily, or puts up a reasonable fight to stay on.

The only prep work I could imagine that would need to be done would be to clean the walls, and perhaps prime with a sticky primer like Zinsser's Bullseye 123, Zinsser's BIN shellac based primer or competitor's equivalent.

My understanding is that the reason why PVC window manufacturers don't recommend painting their windows is that PVC has a low "Glass Transition Temperature" (similar to a "melting point", but the Tg is the midpoint of the temperature range over which the plastic goes from a hard brittle material to a soft flexible material). As a result, painting the white windows any darker colour is going to result in the plastic being warmer, and more likely to stretch or bend or otherwise permanently deform. Thus, the recommendation not to paint white vinyl windows arises from the concern that the plastic will be warmer and therefore softer and therefore weaker, and not because the paint won't stick.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 02-16-2009 at 02:59 PM.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 02:58 PM   #5

Nestor Kelebay,

Someone else recommended BIN, actually I found that idea on a very old message board. I guess I will have someone try that. I am 4 months pregnant, and my master bath (where I will begin to paint because noone sees it but me) has no windows, it does however have an exhaust fan. I don't want to use anything toxic. It doesn't hurt to try right, again, noone will see it if it turns into a disaster! Thanks for your 2cents.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:37 PM   #6
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

Admittedly I don't run into this myself, but a friend and trusted professional painter who does run across this often tells me the newer installations of this type of product (he does many mobile homes), the vinyl is the top surface of the "wall-board" and cannot be removed (like wallpaper can)

He uses a solvent-based primer (oil/alkyd...or shellac-based like BIN)
Either oils/alkyds (Original Kilz, CoverStain, etc...) or shellacs will be a bit stinky, and I could not recommend applying them yourself at this time
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 06:47 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

I can understand the concern about painting with an alcohol based primer like BIN in a closed room when pregnant. I'm no pediatrician, but I'd be concerned that any light headedness you feel would also be experienced by the baby.

If you decide to paint with the BIN, I'd certainly keep your ceiling fan running all the time you're painting with the BIN.

Also, check the draw of your ceiling fan to ensure it's drawing well. Turn the fan on and put a piece of paper towel over it. The draw should be sufficient to keep the paper towel stuck to the ceiling fan grille.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:19 PM   #8

hi jo as a professional painter (27 years) i can honestly say the only primer i would recomend is Bin and then a good quality kitchen and bath 2-3 coats but u will need to get someone else to do it for you good luck BB
bb45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:28 PM   #9

Sherwin Williams has a water based product called UMA. You can paint glass tile etc.. with this primer. And again, it is water based and it will stick. I have used this on fiberglass exterior products. top coat with Super Paint satin and you should be ok. One more paint that may be ok for you is pro-mar 200 green. Very easy on the lungs.

Advertisement

DGideon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
painiting vinyl walls , vinyl coated wall board