Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-02-2012, 08:14 AM   #1

Share |

painting vaulted ceilings

Is it better to paint a vaulted ceiling light or dark?

jls6919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:43 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

It used to be ceilings were usually painted white to reflect the light given off by the single gaslight fixture in the center of the room. When electricity came into the picture, and up until recently, people still plunked a single fixture in the middle of the ceiling and kept painting ceilings white. I think white ceilings are boring and lack creativity.

Whether yours should be lighter or darker than the floors and ceilings is up to you and the lighting you have availed. I did a dramatic dining room not long ago with a gray, flat ceiling much darker than the walls. The walls had a higher sheen and looked almost silverish. The client had a nice collection of original b&w art quality photos on the walls. It looked really nice.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:22 AM   #3

It is amazing how many colors of off white you could use on your ceiling if you don't want a bright white. We often use a lighter shade of the wall color on the ceiling to eliminate that white/color line where ceiling meets wall. And, as Sdsester says, you can be bold and paint your ceiling any color that suits your fancy. I just did some ceilings that were a dark yellow (think nicotine stains) and thought the color was awful.......until the walls were done and then I saw that the colored ceilings brought out the depth of color on the walls.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:39 PM   #4

I agree white ceilings get boring, but lighter ceilings are easier on your electric bill, as they reflect light and require less wattage to light a room.
For a vaulted ceiling area, if you go dark, i'd make sure you have the right lighting to compensate.

I cool idea is to try a glossy dark color; it is dramatic, and the gloss will help reflect light.

ARC Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:57 PM   #5

I like colored ceilings with crown molding; not so much without crown. Just a personal taste thing I suppose...
pucks101 is offline   Reply With Quote