Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-28-2010, 12:31 PM   #1
Home owner

Rewards Points: 150
Send a message via AIM to Bootz

Painting trim question

okay so here is the deal. Me and the lady have a house that the recent people did not take to good care of. We started doing the trim in the office and well....

1st - we painted the trim and used some pretty nice high quality stuff. I do not have the paint in front of me but it goes on smooth.
2nd - We used a drop cloth and tucked it underneath the trim.
3rd - We may have not let it dry but when we pulled it away we noticed there were was paint kind of ragged looking under the gap to the carpet. when I pulled it ... It pulled a whole strip with it down to the wood Any one know how to prevent this? Send me a message or post it up any help would be awesome.

I read some places to strip the paint using a sander or a heat gun because it may be an oil based paint under the new coat we just put down.
1. what is the alcohol test?
2. what other tests are there?

Bootz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:07 AM   #2
Home owner

Unhappy

Painting trim question

I went ahead and got a paint edger and painted along the edge of the trim with it. When I was done painting the section I just pulled the edger away and moved on to the next. Apparently the drop cloth dried to the paint that we put down and we did not move the drop cloth in time before it dried thus drying the paint to the drop cloth.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:17 AM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,358

Painting trim question

You didn't prepare the old trims for paint---At a minimum you will want to wipe it down with a liquid deglosser-- available at any paint store.

You now know that that this paint is having trouble bonding to the old---I'd suggest a good quality latex primer.

I'm not a pro painter---lets see what one of the pros say.--Mike--
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:30 AM   #4
Home owner

Painting trim question

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
You didn't prepare the old trims for paint---At a minimum you will want to wipe it down with a liquid deglosser-- available at any paint store.

You now know that that this paint is having trouble bonding to the old---I'd suggest a good quality latex primer.

I'm not a pro painter---lets see what one of the pros say.--Mike--
Yea I hear you out on this one. I went to home depot and contrary to belief I trust one of the guys there because he helped me with my retaining wall I put in. He suggested the Paint I was using was fine and actually high quality since it was bonding to the paint below it. I was just leaving the drop cloth there to long and letting the paint dry to the drop cloth while on the trim.
So when I used the edger that had a metal edge, I just painted along the metal edge then pulled it away from the trim and then kept going in that fashion. This way the Paint dried evenly and not ragged.

But Yea any suggestions from a pro would be great we have a lot more trim to do in the house
Old 06-29-2010, 10:37 AM   #5
DIY staff

Painting trim question

There are several helpful pro painters here--Along with some mighty knowledgeable DIY folks.

The electricians here have a remarkable amount of patience.

All in all---you ask questions and some one will help.--Mike--
Old 06-29-2010, 10:39 AM   #6
Home owner

Painting trim question

Thanks Mike :D was kind of wondering if anyone would Help me out on this one
Old 06-29-2010, 11:04 AM   #7
DIY staff

Painting trim question

A lot of the folks are at work--I'm off today .
Old 06-29-2010, 11:18 AM   #8
Home owner

Painting trim question

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
A lot of the folks are at work--I'm off today .
lol same..
Old 07-02-2010, 06:42 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 10

Painting trim question

My house is 100+ years old and the trim has at least 6 different colors of paint. As we work in each room, I remove the trim and strip all the paint off. Fill nail holes, sand, prime, paint and re-install.
dkh0331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:39 PM   #10
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,088

Painting trim question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootz View Post
Yea I hear you out on this one. I went to home depot and contrary to belief I trust one of the guys there because he helped me with my retaining wall I put in. He suggested the Paint I was using was fine and actually high quality since it was bonding to the paint below it. Say what? I was just leaving the drop cloth there to long and letting the paint dry to the drop cloth while on the trim.
So when I used the edger that had a metal edge, I just painted along the metal edge then pulled it away from the trim and then kept going in that fashion. This way the Paint dried evenly and not ragged.

But Yea any suggestions from a pro would be great we have a lot more trim to do in the house
We need to know exactly what you are using, what you are painting over, what kind of prep was done( if any). You should never be spreading that much paint on that it is dripping onto and sticking to a drop. way to much paint. All the more details you supply will result in a better response. Try this out on the paint you have that has dried for a day or two. Run your fingernail over it, if the paint comes off, then you got problems.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:31 AM   #11
Home owner

Painting trim question

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
We need to know exactly what you are using, what you are painting over, what kind of prep was done( if any). You should never be spreading that much paint on that it is dripping onto and sticking to a drop. way to much paint. All the more details you supply will result in a better response. Try this out on the paint you have that has dried for a day or two. Run your fingernail over it, if the paint comes off, then you got problems.
lol I will do that in the future for future painting projects which actually me and the lady are taking on the bedroom ... we found a good pallet to use .. the asian pallet color scheme ... so I am pretty sure its going to be red, jade, green or black or some where inbetween those colors.

Tags
paint interior house, peeling paint