DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Painting (http://www.diychatroom.com/f4/)
-   -   Painting trim question (http://www.diychatroom.com/f4/painting-trim-question-74869/)

Bootz 06-28-2010 01:31 PM

Painting trim question
 
okay so here is the deal. Me and the lady have a house that the recent people did not take to good care of. We started doing the trim in the office and well....

1st - we painted the trim and used some pretty nice high quality stuff. I do not have the paint in front of me but it goes on smooth.
2nd - We used a drop cloth and tucked it underneath the trim.
3rd - We may have not let it dry but when we pulled it away we noticed there were was paint kind of ragged looking under the gap to the carpet. when I pulled it ... It pulled a whole strip with it down to the wood :eek: :censored: Any one know how to prevent this? Send me a message or post it up any help would be awesome.

I read some places to strip the paint using a sander or a heat gun because it may be an oil based paint under the new coat we just put down.
1. what is the alcohol test?
2. what other tests are there?

Bootz 06-29-2010 11:07 AM

Okay So Figured it out :\
 
I went ahead and got a paint edger and painted along the edge of the trim with it. When I was done painting the section I just pulled the edger away and moved on to the next. Apparently the drop cloth dried to the paint that we put down and we did not move the drop cloth in time before it dried thus drying the paint to the drop cloth. :thumbsup:

oh'mike 06-29-2010 11:17 AM

You didn't prepare the old trims for paint---At a minimum you will want to wipe it down with a liquid deglosser-- available at any paint store.

You now know that that this paint is having trouble bonding to the old---I'd suggest a good quality latex primer.

I'm not a pro painter---lets see what one of the pros say.--Mike--

Bootz 06-29-2010 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oh'mike (Post 462936)
You didn't prepare the old trims for paint---At a minimum you will want to wipe it down with a liquid deglosser-- available at any paint store.

You now know that that this paint is having trouble bonding to the old---I'd suggest a good quality latex primer.

I'm not a pro painter---lets see what one of the pros say.--Mike--

Yea I hear you out on this one. I went to home depot and contrary to belief I trust one of the guys there because he helped me with my retaining wall I put in. He suggested the Paint I was using was fine and actually high quality since it was bonding to the paint below it. I was just leaving the drop cloth there to long and letting the paint dry to the drop cloth while on the trim.
So when I used the edger that had a metal edge, I just painted along the metal edge then pulled it away from the trim and then kept going in that fashion. This way the Paint dried evenly and not ragged. :thumbup:

But Yea any suggestions from a pro would be great we have a lot more trim to do in the house :boxing:

oh'mike 06-29-2010 11:37 AM

There are several helpful pro painters here--Along with some mighty knowledgeable DIY folks.

The electricians here have a remarkable amount of patience.

All in all---you ask questions and some one will help.--Mike--

Bootz 06-29-2010 11:39 AM

Thanks Mike :D :thumbsup: :) was kind of wondering if anyone would Help me out on this one

oh'mike 06-29-2010 12:04 PM

A lot of the folks are at work--I'm off today .

Bootz 06-29-2010 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oh'mike (Post 462979)
A lot of the folks are at work--I'm off today .

lol same.. :no:

dkh0331 07-02-2010 07:42 AM

My house is 100+ years old and the trim has at least 6 different colors of paint. As we work in each room, I remove the trim and strip all the paint off. Fill nail holes, sand, prime, paint and re-install.

chrisn 07-02-2010 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bootz (Post 462947)
Yea I hear you out on this one. I went to home depot and contrary to belief I trust one of the guys there because he helped me with my retaining wall I put in. He suggested the Paint I was using was fine and actually high quality since it was bonding to the paint below it. :no: Say what?:huh: I was just leaving the drop cloth there to long and letting the paint dry to the drop cloth while on the trim.
So when I used the edger that had a metal edge, I just painted along the metal edge then pulled it away from the trim and then kept going in that fashion. This way the Paint dried evenly and not ragged. :thumbup:

But Yea any suggestions from a pro would be great we have a lot more trim to do in the house :boxing:

We need to know exactly what you are using, what you are painting over, what kind of prep was done( if any). You should never be spreading that much paint on that it is dripping onto and sticking to a drop. way to much paint. All the more details you supply will result in a better response. Try this out on the paint you have that has dried for a day or two. Run your fingernail over it, if the paint comes off, then you got problems.

Bootz 07-07-2010 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisn (Post 464513)
We need to know exactly what you are using, what you are painting over, what kind of prep was done( if any). You should never be spreading that much paint on that it is dripping onto and sticking to a drop. way to much paint. All the more details you supply will result in a better response. Try this out on the paint you have that has dried for a day or two. Run your fingernail over it, if the paint comes off, then you got problems.

lol I will do that in the future for future painting projects which actually me and the lady are taking on the bedroom ... we found a good pallet to use .. the asian pallet color scheme ... so I am pretty sure its going to be red, jade, green or black or some where inbetween those colors.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:39 AM.