Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-04-2009, 11:07 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

painting trim and base boards

Hey everyone. I currently have wood trim in a wood color and im thinking about giving it some white along with the doors also. i would rather pop off the trim and paint them in the garage but when i put them back on i dont feel like nailing the trim and having the hammer chip the fresh paint... should i do them while they are installed? i rather not this way it looks better.

fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 04:53 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

I'd be very reluctant to paint wood stained trim. It's maintenance free now, and it goes with any wall colour just the way it is. If you paint that trim, the next time you paint the walls, you'll be saying "Now I need to paint the trim, too."

However, if you choose to paint, I would paint the trim in place. Just use masking tape to tape the trim off so you don't get paint all over the place. Removing the trim to paint it separately is going to result in your having to pull the nails AND probably patch some plaster that'll come out in chunks near where the nails were. If you do that, pull the nails out from the BACK of the trim so as not to muck up the varnished front face of the trim.

If this trim is varnished, you should dull the gloss before painting it. This can be done by cleaning the trim with a solution of TSP in water. If the paint on the walls is a latex paint, you don't have to worry about harming the paint. Latex paints aren't affected by TSP. However, I have heard that you can permanently stain floor tiles with TSP. I've never tested that to check, but if you're using TSP over a ceramic tile floor, then either test the TSP in an inconspicuous spot, or throw down some plastic and cover with blankets or something.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 01-04-2009 at 04:56 PM.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 06:15 PM   #3

thanks for the reply, i was thinking about leaving it but i really like the white trim. but i would like to see some pictures on tan walls with wood color trim or like a pale yellow with same trim. thanks though
Old 01-04-2009, 07:22 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

I would leave it in place. I did that with my upstairs base and door trim, which were stained chestnut. Scuff it up, prime, 2 coats of paint - sanding in between.

My downstairs we replaced the chestnut stained wood and spray painted 26 6-panel wood doors. Fun.

Here's a pic;

Taking the trim off without damaging it could be difficult.
SandyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyK View Post
I would leave it in place. I did that with my upstairs base and door trim, which were stained chestnut. Scuff it up, prime, 2 coats of paint - sanding in between.

My downstairs we replaced the chestnut stained wood and spray painted 26 6-panel wood doors. Fun.

Here's a pic;

look so much cleaner, nicer and stylish with the white trim... mmmmmm
Old 01-04-2009, 10:36 PM   #6

It does.

Painting the stained trim was a pain, but it came out well. The only thing I would recommend is 2 coats of primer.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:42 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
It does.

Painting the stained trim was a pain, but it came out well. The only thing I would recommend is 2 coats of primer.
it looks great...did you use oil or latex? I have used oil in the past and it worked well.
wilsonfrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 05:31 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 502

Yes, you can paint that trim just fine, but I am going to disagree with Nestor's advice to use tape. Tape usually has the problem of bleed under the edge, making it look much worse than if the tape was not used at all.

Use oil-base primer to coat that stained trim. On top of that, the Waterbourne enamels from SW or BM (ProClassic or Impervo) do a fantastic oil-like job without the drawbacks of actual oil paint.

SirWired
sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 06:33 AM   #9

Quote:
it looks great...did you use oil or latex? I have used oil in the past and it worked well.
I go the easy route (for me) - latex.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:05 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 10

Sandy - Your photos look great. I have a house full of this trim and am considering painting it. Do you have any other photos of your work that you can post? thxs! t

Quote:

Here's a pic;

tcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:34 PM   #11

thank you! Unfortunately, the hubby and I were so burned out with this project, I haven't worked on any other for quite a while.

Here are a couple more;

We put in all the crown, wainscoting and replaced the baseboard with taller base. Left the staircase as is.

The previous pics of the door. That is all new work, except for the little bit of chestnut trim around the door - everything else, base, jambs, header, crown, columns and wainscoting - all new.

I painted all the chestnut trim in the upstairs - doors, base, door trim.

In the family room;

We replaced all the base and door trim, but painted the doors and added the crown and column moldings.

Last edited by SandyK; 12-31-2009 at 07:42 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:34 PM   #12

a colum like this to make the space look wide
Attached Images

01stairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 04:52 AM   #13
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,104

Quote:
It does.

Why?
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 04:57 PM   #14

Sandy K.,

I'm thinking about taking on the task of painting some stain wood trim in our home and I was hoping you'd answer a couple of questions... You said you spray painted the doors. Did you sand them and buy/rent a spray gun? Also, did you have any windows that were wood trim? We have Anderson wood trim windows that I don't think I have the gut to even attempt to paint, but I think doing the trim and doors would brighten up our home. Hope you can advise..

Melissa
mmamula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:42 PM   #15

Yes, we sanded/scuffed up the stained doors, primed, sanded again, paint, sand again, paint. For the initial sanding, I used 100 grit, and for the sanding in between painting, 120 and 150 grit.

We bought a sprayer.

We were able to paint 8 doors at a time using flat L-shaped brackets attached to the tops of the doors. Like this;

...._...._
|_| |_| |

The dots for the above are just space holder - couldn't get the spacing right, but basically each door is at a 90 angle to each other, with brackets connecting them.

One half of the bracket go on the top of one door and the other half on the top the next door and so on down the line. Very sturdy, no risk of the doors falling over.

We were able to to 26 doors in 2 1/2 days.

A picture of your windows would be great. Is the window trim on the window and the trim around the window all the same stain?

About the two coats of primer. Just a habit I got into over the years when painting over stained wood. Probably wasn't as careful as I should have been and would notice some of the stained wood showing through, especially when using white paint.

Ahhh...I thought I had put a pic up on this board of the configuration;

Last edited by SandyK; 10-08-2010 at 07:53 PM.