Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-18-2009, 01:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

painting trim

I recently moved into a house that is 20 years old. I have been attempting to paint the trim around the doors and the doors themselves. When finished, and after a second coat, the door still looks like I have missed places. It appears the original finish is bleeding through. I am using a mid price latex semi gloss paint from Home Depot. Any ideas why the paint does not seem to be covering? The doors are in great shape. They just need a fresh coat of white paint. Thanks for any help you can send my way!

licherg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 03:53 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

painting trim

You need more reasons then you bought the paint at Home Depot? Seriously? You get what you pay for with paints. good binders costs money, good paints have good binders. $65/gal for a good paint. You need to first prep your surface. Clean first with TSP Sand with 100 grit paper lightly to scuff the surface. use a primer Then paint, two coats.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 03:58 PM   #3

painting trim

I'll second the motion on buying good quality paint and the need to clean and scruff up the surface with a light sanding. This happens especially when trying to paint over a glossy surface.

Josh Jaros (Jaros Bros. Construction)
jaros bros. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 07:54 PM   #4

painting trim

I agree with the material. Go to a reputal paint store for your painting needs.
With that said did you check to make sure that your 20yr old trim does not have oil paint on it? You can get a kit at any paint store. Also i say clean your trim off and scuff sand then paint two coats of finish.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:53 PM   #5
Tired, Cold, and Damp

painting trim

Quote:
Originally Posted by licherg
...after a second coat, the door still looks like I have missed places.
It appears the original finish is bleeding through.
I am using a ... latex semi gloss paint from Home Depot.
Any ideas why the paint does not seem to be covering?
'Nuff said
Get thee to a real Paint Store
Get some real paint
...really
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:46 AM   #6
onlinehandyman

painting trim

I agree with everything that was said, however I have used Home Depot paint on occasion and am not completely convinced that it is the product alone. Yes better wood adhere better and look better, but the HD paint should be able to cover the moldings. I would suggest 100 grit sandpaper and sand and clean them down very well. Sounds like you are trying to cover a poly or some other finish that will not accept the paint. Higher-quality paint may save you the bother of going through this step, but in this case I cannot blame it on the paint alone. Good luck!

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 01-21-2009 at 04:42 PM. Reason: SITE RULES VIOLATION: Web Link Removed from Signature
onlinehandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:48 PM   #7
Tired, Cold, and Damp

painting trim

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlinehandyman
...I have used Home Depot paint on occasion and am not completely convinced that it is the product alone. ...the HD paint should be able to cover the moldings.
Difficult to explain to a consumer base that expects black and white answers...

I too have used Behr with success
However....the moment even one of several factors isn't just right, I've had issues from this type mentioned here, to absolute outright failures

Does that mean Behr won't work 100% of the time
No
Is the failure rate acceptable?
Is the extra work/coats worth it?
Is the final project of the quality of other products available?

Taking into consideration Pros and DIYers goals are the same (not spending three days on a project vs. one, a 5%, 10%, 25% or higher chance of failure is unacceptable, etc...), I can not in good conscience recommend the product

I would do a job with Behr, however I would absolutely expect an extreme high chance of what was explained here in this thread (although it's true, it might be OK), and my "bid" would be 30% to 50% higher, and the H/O would have to provide materials and sundries, as opposed to me providing quality materials and sundries

Trust me, if we (quality painting companies) could provide the same service at a lower price by purchasing cheaper materials from HD, we'd be all over that

Fact is...the product just isn't that good, and winds up costing us more in labor and other problems

Chances are so high that product is the OP's problem, other options aren't even worth considering until it is re-coated with a quality product
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:30 PM   #8

painting trim

BTW, you can get a top-quality trim Waterbourne trim enamel for about $40/gal or so from SW or BM. Given that you don't use that much paint on trim, a gallon goes a very long way.

SirWired

sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote