Painting Tray Ceiling Two-tone - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-26-2015, 07:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 254

Painting tray ceiling two-tone

Hello everybody! I have been reading a lot, but haven't posted lately. As usual, I have a question. I'm getting ready to paint a bedroom that has a tray ceiling and crown moldings. I need ideas on what to paint what color. I know the crown moldings will be white, but there is a band between the crown molding and a small molding about 4 inches wide. I want to paint the strip between the two room color. But I'm not sure the best layout. I have decided the 4 inch band will be room/wall color (sea foam green). But below the smaller molding and the ceiling there is about a 3 inch or so strip that I need to decide whether or not to do also in the wall color? I'm attaching a photo of the layout. Thanks for your ideas. Oh, and the reason I'm posting in the paint and not decorating forum is I need to know what I should use to clean the walls? I fear some cleaners may leave a residue that will cause adhesion issue. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Painting tray ceiling two-tone-ceiling.jpg  

Advertisement

Old 05-26-2015, 07:57 PM   #2
Painting contractor

Rewards Points: 291

If I was going to paint it with wall color between the molding I would use wall color on everything but the molding. I would just wipe it down with a damp soap and water cloth.

Advertisement

Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red Dog For This Useful Post:
MikeKy55 (05-26-2015)
Old 05-26-2015, 08:07 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Typically the band of wall between the moldings goes white with the trim., the idea is to simulate wide crown molding with the two smaller pieces. Not to say it couldn't look good the way your proposing, but seems like you would have to do all the crown in the room like that for continuity.

From design trends I've seen lately the 3" strip below the bottom molding would go wall color. And the tray itself would go the wall, or perhaps a reduced formula of the wall color, %25-%50. If your going to do the middle strip in wall color though, that might be a little much. Not sure how else you would do it though.

Honestly, I've never seen it done quite like your proposing. It could look cool I guess. Post some pics when your done.

I've never worried about cleaning walls with much more than a damp cloth unless it's a kitchen or bath or there is some other special reason they need cleaning.
Jmayspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jmayspaint For This Useful Post:
MikeKy55 (05-26-2015)
Old 05-26-2015, 08:21 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 254

Well, originally I was just going to do the 4 inch strip between the crown and the smaller molding wall color. But when I started searching for images online I kept seeing the 4 inch band wall color and the part below the smaller molding. But..... the ones that were done that way also painted the ceiling above the crown wall color as well? That looked strange to me so I tossed that idea out. When I looked for photos for ideas, most of what I was finding was tray ceilings that were several steps up and looked like the house cost at minimum 1,000,000.00. Mine is much simpler and less expensive.