Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-25-2013, 09:14 AM   #1
Wellness Coach

Share |
Question

Painting with toddlers

I am a new crafter, just trying to do fun stuff with my kids, I am really not savvy with the terms and materials etc so please keep replies as though you might be answering a child! lol I am the mom of this operation but it's totally uncharted territory for me! We painted some wood boards for a craft. The boards I got at Home Depo in the fence section (no idea the wood type - fence wood?) see -this is the skill level I have that you are dealing with here folks! We painted the boards with a crafting acrylic paint I think it has some latex in it. Anyhow, what I am wondering is how do I shine it up and clear coat it? I heard about using school glue mixed with water (please don't laugh.. ) Think 2 and 4 year olds painting. Would this glue and water mix be the right thing to use for them to do it themselves? how would I mix the ratio? or would it be best if mommy got something a bit more pro and did the sealing herself after bedtime? If that's the case what would I use?

We made the "growth charts" from pinterest that look like big rulers to measure the kids up against... so I would like to have them last as long as possible, and have the finish in a state that we can easily write markings of their growth without it rubbing off or anything....

ohhhhhh I hope someone can help I have read through the other posts and there are some knowledgeable folks in here! Thanks!

Kristina204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:43 AM   #2
custom user

Painting with toddlers

Long lasting and kid safe aren't likely to be synonymous. Homes are painted to last a long time so duplicating the products would be the best bet for longevity. Wood needs to be primed to last, I wouldn't want kids to do that aspect of it. You might consider some pre-primed Hardiplank boards. Even so, I am not sure the latex would be safe for kids that young. It's probably going to end up in some little digestive tracts.

JasperST is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JasperST For This Useful Post:
Kristina204 (10-25-2013)
Old 10-25-2013, 10:15 AM   #3

Painting with toddlers

There are paints available that are "skin-safe". You see kids painted up all the time for football games so I know this type of paint is around and my kids used to buy it. I can't think of brand names or anything like that right now, but, I know it's out there and would be appropriate for what you are doing.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
Kristina204 (10-25-2013)
Old 10-25-2013, 07:35 PM   #4

Painting with toddlers

If I am reading this right you have already painted the boards and just want a clear coat to preserve them and be able to mark their growth on them. The clear coat part is easy but one you can mark on and the marl will stay is challenge. The best I can come up with at the moment is a couple more coats of paint and then use a magic marker, maybe someone else can come up with something better.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
Kristina204 (10-25-2013)
Old 10-25-2013, 07:43 PM   #5
Wellness Coach

Painting with toddlers

yes that right, we have already painted the boards, we were not opposed to priming them then re-painting if needed though

Thanks for your suggestion
Kristina204 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kristina204 For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (10-26-2013)

Tags
help please, kids project, sealer, wood