DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

What color of red would you favor in the painting of a formal dining room?

• Bright Red

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Maroon

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Pink-Red

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brown-Red

Votes: 3 37.5%

Painting Tips

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  joewho 
#1 · (Edited)
Painting our Formal Dining Room

We are about to move and are planning to paint out new dining room red. :eek: We are not quite sure about which brand and color of paint to use though. We are also wondering if the use of primer is needed, and the number of coats of paint neccesary. Can you please give me a few tips?

Thank you!

#3 · (Edited)
We are about to move and are planning to paint out new dining room red. :eek: We are not quite sure about which brand and color of paint to use though. We are also wondering if the use of primer is needed, and the number of coats of paint neccesary. Can you please give me a few tips?

Thank you!
Brands that the pros use: Sherwin Williams, Ben Moore, & other premium brands...(Run from the Big Home Store brands)

If you are going to paint red (be prepared to apply 'alot' of coats for even coverage)...& definitely use a premium brand for fewer coats.

Primer: New walls ; YES - prime them.

Primer: Consider having it tinted to coincide with your choice of color. Tinting your primer close to your top coat paint will help to reduce the number of coats required to paint the walls to the red color you desire.
(Using a tinted primer is more cost effective than spending extra money to apply additional coats of your finish coat paint .... to cover a 'white' primer coat)

Good Luck...

#4 ·
Atlantic is sooooooo right when he says you need "a lot" of coats.

I remember painting my dining room a cranberry colour a number of years ago.

I think I ended up putting 7 coats on to get it the colour that it should be.

I primed it in white thought.
I was told that I should have used a coloured primer so that I would not have had to do as many coats.

Good luck.

#5 ·
Hmmm....I like burgundy
Can I pick burgundy?
:)
I'm stuck on that color for some reason

Usually no primer is needed for a repaint
Reds are different...and tough

I'd use a tinted primer - the paint shop will suggest the best tint for your color/type of paint

And go with a top quality paint-that's a must

I'm big fan of Ben Moore's Regal line
It does very well with difficult colors
For seriously red color coverage in two coats, go with Sherwin Williams Color Accents and use the primer tint they suggest

#7 ·
Tips for red: Ask for grey primer because you're painting with red. Some paint store employees don't know that.

Be patient. Use thin coats and go with however many thin coats it takes. Avoid the temptation to lay it on thicker to make it cover.
Make sure the paint is completly dry between coats. The longer between coats, the better. You might want to invest in a pole sander and sand the wall lightly between coats. With multiple layers, you should sand, at least, before the final coat goes on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.