Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-09-2012, 03:52 PM   #1

Share |

Painting a three story brick building

Hi,
I am about to paint my three story brick building which I painted about 10 years ago with Kilz from Walmart. It's actually not peeling, just dull and faded. Since I've read quite a few posts here about not relying on Consumer Reports and Walmart no longer sells Kilz which I was happy with both in application and durability, I don't know what to use. In their March, 2011 edition, CR recommends Glidden Premium Home Satin from Home Depot. HAS ANYONE USED THIS AND BEEN HAPPY WITH IT??? I live in PA very far from any store other than Walmart. I would be willing to drive the 45 minutes to a town that has another brand of paint. I find the $22 price tag of Glidden paint very appealing since I probably will need a lot of it. Any suggestions? How do you think this compares to Lowes Valspar Duramax at $35 a gallon?
Thank you very much.
IDIMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:47 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Just remember that CR paint recs are HEAVILY weighted to price point and I find their actual paint testing criteria highly suspect. I have suggested people go to CR's own site to see posted comments who took the bait and were extremely disappointed with say, BEHR to the point of "what were you thinking?" I certainly would not buy anything based only on the recommendation of Consumer Reports!

Glidden has been around for a long time. I really only used box store paint when doing volunteer work and it was donated. I do know that in this market, HD seems to be abandoning BEHR advertising and is hyping Glidden instead. Glidden is owned by a foreign company that makes some of the highest quality coatings for the European market. But to draw an analogy, Sherwin Williams, my second fave brand in the US sells Dutch Boy as their box store brand and I wouldn't touch it unless donated for a volunteer project.

Your local, real, paint stores should be running nice spring paint sales now or soon enough they will give the discount if you are ready to go. Just ask. Keep an eye on your paper, especially the home and real estate section, for coupons or check online. With the discounts, you should find real, paint store paint, for around the same price point of the more expensive box store stuff. There is no comparison.

If you got 10 years out of Kilz you did really well. I honestly did not know they made paint and thought only primer. I've never been a fan of their primer compared to available alternatives.

Of course you will want to clean the surface and spot prime any areas that are loose. The dullness or chalkiness almost makes it sound like you used an oil-based product? It is characteristic of oil products to chalk as they age.

Last edited by user1007; 04-10-2012 at 01:49 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:08 PM   #3

I have dullness and I think it is corrosion from all the soot that's blown up against my building. I use house wash every couple of years and that stuff made my home's vinyl siding look chalky so perhaps it did the same thing to the paint.

Last edited by h82diet; 04-10-2012 at 02:11 PM.
h82diet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:14 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by h82diet View Post
I'm stuck with Walmart paints (8 miles away), Lowe's paints (14 miles) or Home Depot (28 miles).
Thank you for your response.
Not to insult you but are you sure there is not an ACE or whatever with a Ben Moore license? You know, shipping heavy stuff like paint UPS Ground and all is outrageous but as freight (if you can plan ahead), is really not that expensive for things that are not hazardous or are going to break.

When I worked on a project out in the Hinderlands, I posted on CL I needed some things picked up and actually met some great guys willing to help me out for a six pack, access to my discounts for paint for themselves, or a few schillings and gas money.

Last edited by user1007; 04-10-2012 at 02:17 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote