Painting Suggestions? - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-18-2012, 06:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Painting suggestions?

I put new hardwood flooring in my living room. The color of the flooring is golden oak. The problem is that the stairs and the fireplace have a darker wood that does not match. I am thinking about painting the stairs and the fireplace white. Is this a good idea? Especially if I want to sell my house in the near future?

Advertisement

computernerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:00 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,228

Painting suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by computernerd View Post
I put new hardwood flooring in my living room. The color of the flooring is golden oak. The problem is that the stairs and the fireplace have a darker wood that does not match. I am thinking about painting the stairs and the fireplace white. Is this a good idea? Especially if I want to sell my house in the near future?

ahh, NO. especially if you are going to sell, painting a fireplace is never a good idea, painting steps is not such a good idea either( IMO)

Advertisement

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:13 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Painting suggestions?

Color coordination is not my area, but I actually have a similar situation in my home and we got some advice from a decorator (a friend of ours). In our case we have a front entrance/hallway in a dark oak, and the rooms on either side are a light maple. The decorator suggested to find an area rug that has some of the lighter wood color (the yellow) and put that in the front entrance to "tie" together the two places. Maybe that will spark an idea for you.
jfklein13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:04 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Painting suggestions?

I guess you could paint the stair risers, stringers and spindles but would encourage you not to do so. You should not paint the treads.

If it is a hardwood mantle, I would leave it alone as well although you could strip it and see if you can bleach it lighter. I would not paint a fireplace if that is what you are asking.

Trying to second guess home buyers is tricky. Right now wood is still in so I wouldn't worry too much whether flooring matched everything else in the house.

Of course I was paid handsomely to get paint off of woodwork so should not be lousing up business for others I guess.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote