DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

painting steel siding?

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  chrisn 
#1 ·
We need to paint our house!!! We bought out house in '94.
Steel siding was put on in '60's or'70's I think. I was the classic color brown and was faded and chalked. Around 2000 we decided to paint. So my husband used tsp and did a quick scrub and painted a verdigreen color. Now it needs it again as it is very chalked. We need to do this the easiest and cheapest way but good way too. I have had heart surgery and my husband was in the hospital for almost 6 months last year, and is not working. We arein our 60's and not in great shape--but cannot afford to hire someone. We do have a power washer so will use tsp again--does paint brand really make a difference? We used Ace brand Royal laytex paint the first time. There is a $25 price difference in some paints and I am confused!! Help would be apprieciated!!

#2 ·
Just do what you did last time. You got 12 years out of it so that's great success in the painting world. If the house isn't too dirty/chalky, the pressure washer will adequately get the dirt off without the need for TSP or any other cleaners for that matter. If you have mildew or stubborn dirt, use some Krud Kutter diluted in a garden sprayer and spray that on the siding and let it work for awhile. Then hit it with a scrub brush and once again hit it with the pressure washer. Let everything dry for a day or so. Repaint with a quality paintstore paint like Sherwin-WIlliams SuperPaint. You'll find that expensive paint really isn't that expensive. It covers more square feet and lasts longer than cheaper paints. You will easily get another 12 years out of your paint job.

#5 ·
Chris, it looks just about like aluminum siding but usually has the overstated wood grained look. In fact, lots of homeowners mistake it for aluminum. Like BJ said, it was a trend that just didn't catch on. It was more expensive (at the time) than aluminum and tougher to hang because it's much heavier than aluminum. On the positive side, it's nearly indestructible and holds up much better than aluminum does after a hailstorm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.