Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-21-2013, 11:40 PM   #1

Share |

Painting stair railings - Paint recommendations?

As the title says, I have some stair railings to paint and am looking for some recommendations on paint to use.

I'm looking for something that will dry fairly quickly with a good recoat time, and that won't cause issues with fumes due to family with respiratory problems. So ideally a waterborne. I had used Sherwin Williams All Surface Latex Enamel before and that did not work well. It does not dry hard and has gotten rubbed off of some of the contact areas.

I was thinking of the SW Pro Industrial Pre-Catalyzed Waterbased Epoxy. Dry time is one hour and recoat time is 8 hours. Plusses are the time and that its waterborne for less smell and easier cleanup. But I've never used any epoxies and am only going by what little I know of them and the data sheets. And I don't know if I can get it at my local store.

Or I have been using ProClassic acrylic/alkyd on all my trim and doors and it holds up good there. Its easy to apply, has little odor, and dries very nicely. But I have no idea how it might hold up to the abuse of being on hand rails.

I've even toyed with the idea of setting the family up with relatives for a few days and spraying spray paint and clear, with proper prep and application of course. But that doesn't seem like a long lasting alternative to me.

So should I use the Pro Industrial Pre-Catalyzed Waterbased Epoxy or the acrylic/alkyd Proclassic? Spray paint? Or something else? I should mention I have an airless I'd like to use for some or all of it as well.

Sorry for the novel. Certainly appreciate any help.
iminaquagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:37 PM   #2
Painting Contractor

If you are talking about just the handrails, I would just brush on an oil based or hybrid enamel. Oil enamel is more impenetrable to hand oils from constant touching. Latex enamels are more likely to turn soft from the hand oils.
If you have spindles to paint as well, then you may want to spray them, but with an airless you will need a fine finish tip. It is different than a regular spray tip, and will emulate an HVLP sprayer finish or cup gun sprayer. A Fine finish tip is double orificed so it will atomize the paint better for fine finish work, and you can get them in very narrow spray patterns. You can also spray at a lower pressure with them so as to control it better. You will need a lot of overspray protection spraying inside your home.
kkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:26 PM   #3

Thank you for the info. I am painting the whole stairway, rails included. By hybrid enamel do you mean a waterborne alkyd such as the Proclassic acrylic/alkyd? I am comfortable with the product, but have never used it on anything other than doors and trim.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:18 AM   #4
Painting Contractor

Yes, the hybrids are actually water clean up oil based paints, from my understanding. I have used 3 brands of hybrids but have not tried out the Proclassic one yet. Keep in mind that since they are oil based, they will yellow with time. I also have not used the Pre-Catalyzed Waterbased Epoxy, so I can not address the ease of use on that one. May take a little trial and error to see what works best for you.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkeith View Post
Yes, the hybrids are actually water clean up oil based paints, from my understanding. I have used 3 brands of hybrids but have not tried out the Proclassic one yet. Keep in mind that since they are oil based, they will yellow with time. I also have not used the Pre-Catalyzed Waterbased Epoxy, so I can not address the ease of use on that one. May take a little trial and error to see what works best for you.
I am going to go with the Proclassic hybrid. I'm comfortable with it and how it sprays. I also picked up a 210 fine finish tip that I'll have to experiment a little with. Thanks for the help with that.

Also, I'm wondering about the prep. So far I've sanded all the rough spots and areas of soft paint off and deglossed the rest. Everything has been cleaned with TSP. Most of the existing paint is in good condition and clean, though I did sand down to bare wood on all of the hand contact surfaces of the railings. I wanted a fresh start. I will prime all the bare wood with Zinsser Cover Stain but was wondering if it would be beneficial to prime everything. The existing paint has a good hold and I know it was primed prior to it being done.

Cliff Note: Should I prime everything prior to paint including areas with good adhesion already or just the bare spots?
Old 11-26-2013, 07:54 AM   #6
Painting Contractor

Just the bare spots are sufficient, it sounds like you have already done a good prep job.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminaquagmire View Post
I am going to go with the Proclassic hybrid. I'm comfortable with it and how it sprays. I also picked up a 210 fine finish tip that I'll have to experiment a little with. Thanks for the help with that.

Also, I'm wondering about the prep. So far I've sanded all the rough spots and areas of soft paint off and deglossed the rest. Everything has been cleaned with TSP. Most of the existing paint is in good condition and clean, though I did sand down to bare wood on all of the hand contact surfaces of the railings. I wanted a fresh start. I will prime all the bare wood with Zinsser Cover Stain but was wondering if it would be beneficial to prime everything. The existing paint has a good hold and I know it was primed prior to it being done.

Cliff Note: Should I prime everything prior to paint including areas with good adhesion already or just the bare spots?
The only thing I would add is be really sure to rinse where you used the TSP when you think you have rinsed enough rinse it again. I like the Pro Classic, let us know how it sprays with the 210ff tip. What sprayer are you using?
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 01:35 AM   #8

I ended up with the Sherwin Williams Pre-Catalyzed Waterbased Epoxy. The Proclassic it turns out doesn't come in an ultra deep base for the color I wanted. I did do a test spot today just to get a feel for the paint and how it dries. I'll see how hard it is tomorrow but it did brush out and cover very nicely. Brushes better than the Proclassic actually as it doesn't have the drag that Proclassic does.

TSP is all gone. Deglosser was the last prep step. I am spraying with a Graco Truecoat Plus II handheld hopefully. I don't want to use my big sprayer if I don't have to. Going to do a sprayout board tomorrow and see how it goes.