Painting/Staining In Winter? - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-25-2014, 02:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 14

Painting/Staining in Winter?

Hi all.

I have a trailer I'm building into an RV and it's coming along nicely. It's time to paint the interior.

It is insulated, and I can heat it with electric heat (I know propane would create moisture). I want to stain the interiors of the hardwood doors and paint the walls.

The thing is, since it's so confined, I need to have it open while I'm actually in there working, but then when I clear out, I can run the heat. I live in GA, so I can usually count on a 50's-60 degree day coming along eventually.

I know all the products say 70, which is no problem once it's on, but it will be colder while applying. Will that work or not? I'd like to be done and moved on to other things before spring.

Thanks for looking.

Advertisement

khigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 02:56 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Yes it should be fine. Just as important as air temperature during application, if not more so, is the surface temperatures of what your painting. As long as you don't go into a cold house and start painting, lowering the air temp during application for ventilation reasons shouldn't be a problem. Make sure it has been warm inside for a while before you start, and warm it back up during the drying/curing phase and you should be ok.

If the surface temps are too low that can cause drying problems even if the air temp is raised during application.

Advertisement

Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 11:43 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 14

Cool - thanks.

So it sounds like heat it up in the morning, paint in the afternoon, leave the heat on overnight, go back the next day for the second coat.
khigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 05:59 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 632

Good plan, but the min temp for paint is more like 50 instead of 70. 60 would be way more than warm enough. Ron
ront02769 is offline   Reply With Quote