Painting/Staining Old Wood Shingles? - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-26-2008, 07:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Painting/Staining Old Wood Shingles?

I've got a ranch that was built in 1973 with the original red cedar shingles that are "natural". I've replaced some shingles around some new windows and a few other damaged ones. These shingles have that "fiber board" behind the shingles to give them a more pronounced look I guess. Will I be able to successfully paint or color stain these without blistering in a few years? Thanks.

Advertisement

GearHd6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 03:57 PM   #2
Painting contractor

Rewards Points: 10

What type of stain is on the shingles now? If you paint with a latex paint those stains may bleed through unless you use a stain lock sealer first. The "natural" old shingles will probably already have tanning stains thus a sealer.

In that you have replaced some with new ones then for consistency you will need to use a solid color stain. A transparent stain will make the new shingles stand out like a sore thumb. Hope this helps.

Jerry

Advertisement

Thepaintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepaintman View Post
What type of stain is on the shingles now? If you paint with a latex paint those stains may bleed through unless you use a stain lock sealer first. The "natural" old shingles will probably already have tanning stains thus a sealer.

In that you have replaced some with new ones then for consistency you will need to use a solid color stain. A transparent stain will make the new shingles stand out like a sore thumb. Hope this helps.

Jerry
To be completely honest we just bought the house a year ago so I havent a clue on whats been put on the shingles over the years. I dont think they've been touched in 15 years at least, thats my guess anyway knowing the history of the house and the past couple owners. I did find a 5 gallon can of "creasote" up in the attic! I know that stuff is pretty nasty but could it have been used as a protectant? I havent a clue. We were thinking a solid stain would be best seeing the shingles have that fiber backerboard behind them and they have the potential to retain moisture. Any ideas? I know its like finding a needle in a hay stack, but thanks for any info.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:55 PM   #4
Painting contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHd6 View Post
I did find a 5 gallon can of "creasote" up in the attic! I know that stuff is pretty nasty but could it have been used as a protectant? I havent a clue. We were thinking a solid stain would be best seeing the shingles have that fiber backerboard behind them and they have the potential to retain moisture. Any ideas? I know its like finding a needle in a hay stack, but thanks for any info.

If you have creasote on the shingles then you would need to prime with a stain block sealer like Zinsser Cover Stain. If in doubt you can always apply a coat of your color stain in a couple of spots and wait to see what happens. I would say that if there is no bleeding or tanning then the latex color stain would be fine but test it first. I hope this helps. We need some more guys to jump in here with advice. Lots of luck!

Jerry
Old 02-29-2008, 09:36 AM   #5

Looks like you're it Jerry! Thanks for the info, we'll try a few spots and check for bleed through. How long do you think it'll take to notice the bleed through? So you think the Zinsser cover stain is the way to go? Should I be able to get that most anywhere? The Solid Color Stain is the only way to go to cover old and new shingles and not see any difference? Thanks again!
Old 02-29-2008, 01:25 PM   #6
Painting contractor

[quote=GearHd6;102939]How long do you think it'll take to notice the bleed through? So you think the Zinsser cover stain is the way to go? Should I be able to get that most anywhere?

I would allow a few days to check for bleeding or tanning on your test spots. A lot depends on the temp and weather.

You should be able to get Covers Stain at Home Depot or a paint store.

Jerry

Advertisement