Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-07-2012, 02:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Painting stained cabinets

Hello,
I am interested in any suggestions/advice on painting existing stained cabinets in a kitchen & several baths. I have 15 year old, custom built red oak, raised panel cabinets that have a light golden carmel color stain on them. Some white paint was added into the stain to tone down the grain.
I would like to paint these an off-white color and then put a brown glaze on after that, to highlight the crevices. I have been told that I need to sand the varnish off first, then apply a primer followed by two coats of paint. The glaze would be applied and wiped off after that.
What I would like advice on is which products are the best to use for this type of appliction and what steps to follow. What kind of brush, best products, techniques, etc...I would like to cover the grain completely, if possible.
I am not a professional painter, but I think I am pretty good with a brush. I have done many DIY projects like painting, refinishing, staining, etc...
I'd appreciate your input, since you are the real professionals.
Thanks

veran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:43 PM   #2
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

To start with- you do not need to sand the varnish off- just break up the shine enough so a good adhesion primer will have something to grab to.
Was just a discussion on this-
kitchen cabinet paint prep

The glazing is another matter- but this will get you headed in the right direction.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:10 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Before you begin, thoroughly clean the surface with TSP or TSP Substitute cleaner to remove all grease. Remember: Preparation is a result - not a process. In other words, do repeated washing and rinsing until you have a clean surface. BTW: Clean surfaces sand better than greasy ones.

Use a high-adhesion acrylic primer. XIM-UMA is a good one. Zinsser 1-2-3 has more pigment load and will cover better.
Mr. Paint is offline   Reply With Quote