Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-12-2011, 10:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

painting with snow on the ground

I have painters coming in the morning to paint. The contractor said that it will be 50 degrees outside so there won't be any problems with the paint not sticking to the old wood or masonite.. Really?? There still snow on the ground and what about the wind chill factor. The label on the paint is Proffessional Quailty..I think they are broke and need money. Your call

diana75074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:14 AM   #2

Wind chill doesn't really affect inanimate objects, so no worries there. However I would be just as concerned with the overnight low and the moisture in the substrate as I would be with the daytime high. Where are you located and what kind of coating product are they using?

Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:16 AM   #3

Plano Texas. I just figured it out. Tell your paint crew to come later in the week when it warms up.
Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:04 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 16

Well, I can see you really checked this contractor out thoroughly. ......"looked at the paint label and it said professional quality?" Did you get three quality references? Did you go look at some of their recent work? "I think they are broke and really need the money." If I had a customer like you, Diana, I'm sorry but I would pack up my equipment & never come back. If your level of confidence in this guy and his crew is that low, you have a recipe for disaster in my opinion.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:36 PM   #5

Check the surface temperature of the what is being painted If its within specs and there is no moisture on it then it should be OK.

It like painting a deck when its 80 degrees. Its not the air temperature its the surface temperature and if the surface is in directly in the sun and it is 80 degrees out side you can be sure the surface temperature is going to be way over 80 degrees and not ready to be painted.
OneCallJohn is offline   Reply With Quote