DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Painting a smooth fiberglass door

5K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  ToolSeeker 
#1 ·
Can someone please share recommendations for painting a smooth fiberglass door? Thanks

#10 ·
All is good now. The installer having not seen the door made the integrity comment because he did not know whether the door was blocked in the area where the second deadbolt hole would be drilled. I confirmed it was blocked and even obtained the technical diagram online. The installer will drill the second hole. Thanks!

#5 ·
I received my fiberglass entry door today. Love the door but one problem; only one hole was drilled for the hardware. Of course I requested two holes. I spoke to the installer about it and asked if making an additional hole would be a problem. He said the integrity of the door might be compromised.

Is this true?

#6 ·
It’s Friday, and he wanted to go home early. If he had to bore a second hole he wouldn’t be leaving as early as he wanted to. If that second hole will compromise the integrity then there’s a lot of compromised doors out there. To answer your question........NO.

#7 ·
It’s Friday, and he wanted to go home early. If he had to bore a second hole he wouldn’t be leaving as early as he wanted to. If that second hole will compromise the integrity then there’s a lot of compromised doors out there. To answer your question........NO.
Sorry I should have been more clear. I purchased the door separately. Where I purchased the door is where the second bore should have been made.

I asked the installer who is not associated with the place I purchased the door from to make the hole and he made the integrity comment. I haven't spoken to him in detail yet.

#13 · (Edited)
I'm ready to paint. I have SW All Surface Enamel Latex and their Multi Purpose Primer. It is recommended to clean the door with mineral spirits and wash it down with a warm soapy detergent. How long should it dry after the cleaning? Is it possible to accomplish all of the above in one day?

I meant to ask about applying time between coats. I was confusing the recoat times with actual drying times. I understand the complete drying times can take a few days. I see the Enamel Latex states 4hrs for recoating times but I guess I will require more time since the temperature is 55-65 degrees. I'm painting with the door open and I'm putting up plastic in the doorway so it will be a bit warmer due to the inside temps.

Roller vs. brush? I see some due both. First coat is brushed and the second is rolled. Any opinions here? What kind of roller?

Thanks

#14 ·
I'm curious about the cleaning recommendations. Recommended by whom?

Mineral spirits seems like an odd choice of solvent to me because it leaves an oily film on the surface that can interfere with adhesion of latex products. Presumably the second wash with warm soapy water would remove the film, but it just seems odd to me. The data page simply says to clean with an 'appropriate' cleaner.

I would skip the mineral spirits and just clean with soapy water. Or if a solvent was needed, use one that evaporates cleanly like denatured alcohol or lacquer thinner.
Maybe I'm missing something here, any other pros know why you would clean fiberglass with mineral spirits specifically?

However you clean it, it shouldn't take too long to dry. Fiberglass won't absorb moisture like wood will, so a couple hrs dry time should be enough.

The multi purpose primer dries for recoat in one hour under normal conditions. If its a little cool, give it two hours.

#15 ·
I'm curious about the cleaning recommendations. Recommended by whom?

Mineral spirits seems like an odd choice of solvent to me because it leaves an oily film on the surface that can interfere with adhesion of latex products. Presumably the second wash with warm soapy water would remove the film, but it just seems odd to me. The data page simply says to clean with an 'appropriate' cleaner.

I would skip the mineral spirits and just clean with soapy water. Or if a solvent was needed, use one that evaporates cleanly like denatured alcohol or lacquer thinner.
Maybe I'm missing something here, any other pros know why you would clean fiberglass with mineral spirits specifically?

However you clean it, it shouldn't take too long to dry. Fiberglass won't absorb moisture like wood will, so a couple hrs dry time should be enough.

The multi purpose primer dries for recoat in one hour under normal conditions. If its a little cool, give it two hours.
I have seen mineral spirits mentioned multiple times via a search. Also I found this, http://www.masonite.com/pdf/finishing/howtopaintentrytear.pdf. My door is Masonite brand.

#16 ·
jerome8283 said:
I have seen mineral spirits mentioned multiple times via a search. Also I found this, http://www.masonite.com/pdf/finishing/howtopaintentrytear.pdf. My door is Masonite brand.

Interesting. As long as you wash it thoroughly the second time it looks like it would be fine. I have just always been taught not to use it for a cleaner, and some primers like the XIM mentioned in a previous post, specifically say in the specs Not to use mineral spirits for cleaning.

Also, the system in the link doesn't include the use of a primer.
An easy way to be sure would be to ask a SW rep where you bought the primer about cleaning instructions for that specific product.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.