Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-16-2010, 12:57 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Painting a SMOKERS Bathroom

I have a small bathroom (roughly 12' x 6') with an excellent high CFM exhaust fan. The ceiling and walls are a stucco type rough finish with tile below. Ive used good Zinzer and mildew resistant paints and DO NOT have a "mildew problem" per se. The problem I DO have is that both my wife and I SMOKE, and despite the high CFM exhaust fan my ceiling gets repeatedly stained with thousands of little brown marks from cigarette tar. This happens in NO other rooms in the home, and Im sure is caused (at least to a great degree) by the rising steam/moisture trapping the tar and carrying it upward.

Question is...Short of ceasing to smoke or smoke in the bathroom, what can be done to eliminate this staining problem? Are there any specific paints or types of paint that are resistant/impervious to this.

Final note... The paint IS easily washable, and a solution of vinegar water, Fantastic, or a mild bleach mix will remove the stains for several months, but after a while they become tougher and tougher to wash off.

Any suggestions or insights appreciated.

Greeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:42 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,086

To my knowledge the is nothing you can do besides quitting. There are not stain preventing paints

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:03 AM   #3
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,008

My ex-wife smoked heavily-that's one reason she's an ex! From experience I can tell you that the only way to remove those stains/yellowing on the ceiling and walls is a good cleaning (TSP) and repaint. You mentioned a high CFM exhaust fan--when was the last time you cleaned the fan itself, the fan box, and the associated exhaust ductwork? It's amazing how much of that brownish material will build up in these areas. David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:38 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,028

I am a smoker. I am with Cris, there isn't much you can do to prevnt the stains. TSP will work. 409 is also excellent on smoking stains. You will also be surprised what just plain ole' water will do on smoking stains.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:40 PM   #5

Thanks for your prompt and considerate advice... I was afraid there wasnt much that could be done to actually prevent the stains. As for my exhaust fan....I clean it regularly, so there's no build up of lint, tar, or anything else impeding its functionality. Appears the only solution is the most logical and healthy one....QUIT! lol. Thanks again.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:36 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,004

Failing quitting, why not just take it outside. If you have children or pets in the house, just limiting it to the bathroom will not prevent them from being exposed. Even the small amount of residue on your clothes is enough to make children ill. With kids in the house, your clothes should be treated like toxic waste- sealed up in a plastic bag until they can be washed after that satisfying after dinner(sex) smoke. I'll get off my soap box now, thanks for listening.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:31 PM   #7

Thanks Jim... Taking it "outside" when one first gets up in the morning or goes to the can in the middle of the night in the cold of winter makes that a less than pleasant task to say the least. Listen...dont think I dont know the perils and pratfalls of smoking...and yes, I raised 2 children (grown & moved out now) and 2 dogs in a smoking home...and I myself was raised by two smokers (one of whom passed away from COPD)...While I believe that hermedically sealing ones clothes in plastic is likely a tad extreme, its most definitely an ugly, dirty, expensive, and unhealthy habit. Hoping to quit soon myself, but until I do Im afraid outside isnt an option for the likes of me..lol.
Thanks for your advice & stay well.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:56 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,004

Don't we all have habits that we know are bad for us and do anyway?
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 03:20 AM   #9
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,086

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim F View Post
Don't we all have habits that we know are bad for us and do anyway?

not me
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:08 PM   #10

also try window cleaner you can see the tar run off the wall look what window cleaner does on the windows of your car if your a heavy smoker in the car

buddy75 is offline   Reply With Quote