Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-27-2012, 09:03 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Painting with smelly old paint

Hi! I'm painting a canvas with Barbot Dioplast Mate. The paint has spoiled a bit and has an acid pungent smell. It's in perfect conditions of elasticity and dilution otherwise. I'm wondering what problems might arise in the long run from using it (become moldy, crack, rot?). And if there's any product that can be added to the paint to somehow restore it (alcohol?). I'd hate to have to throw it away....

lifemare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:13 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifemare View Post
Hi! I'm painting a canvas with Barbot Dioplast Mate. The paint has spoiled a bit and has an acid pungent smell. It's in perfect conditions of elasticity and dilution otherwise. I'm wondering what problems might arise in the long run from using it (become moldy, crack, rot?). And if there's any product that can be added to the paint to somehow restore it (alcohol?). I'd hate to have to throw it away....
Other than something foreign (to Americans), I really don't know much about Barbot Dioplaste is...but, if your paint is spoiled (identified by smell), the problem is most likely caused by bacteria feeding off any number of organic components within the product's makeup. The problem(s) with using it could mean unsatisfactory performance, a proliferation of mold and mildew growth, a sour smell that dries into the film and reactivates as humidity rises, when walls are washed or when the surface is repainted (contaminating the new app of paint as well). It's best if the product is thrown away, then buy new.

There is really nothing to add to restore the product since anything that would kill bacteria could/would also have a detrimental effect on the paint - PLUS - you do not know what irreversible damage the bacteria has done to the components to date.

Last edited by ric knows paint; 09-27-2012 at 09:16 AM.
ric knows paint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ric knows paint For This Useful Post:
lifemare (09-27-2012), user1007 (09-27-2012)
Old 09-27-2012, 09:26 AM   #3

Thanks for the very quick reply ric.
I'm not in the best place right now financially, i can't really afford to throw an otherwise perfect paint away and spend money on more, as much as i respect your warnings and agree with your professional opinion.

I find it weird that there's no solution to purify and eliminate bacteria in paint, someone should seriously get on that and patent it.

Is there really none?!
Old 09-27-2012, 09:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Thanks for the very quick reply ric.
I'm not in the best place right now financially, i can't really afford to throw an otherwise perfect paint away and spend money on more, as much as i respect your warnings and agree with your professional opinion.

I find it weird that there's no solution to purify and eliminate bacteria in paint, someone should seriously get on that and patent it.

Is there really none?!
None that I'm aware of (and I do try to kinda keep up on these things) - there are stir-in fungicides and mildewcides that you can add to paint, but truthfully, I have no idea how that impacts a liquid product that already contains a bacteria or fungus. Also keep this in mind, in my earlier post, I described a kind of worst case scenario...it's not guaranteed any of those things will happen - and if you choose to use a tainted product (although I still wouldn't recommend it), chances exist that simple exposure to air and sunlight could render all warnings moot.
ric knows paint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ric knows paint For This Useful Post:
lifemare (09-27-2012), ToolSeeker (09-27-2012)
Old 09-27-2012, 11:30 AM   #5

The paint seems to lose the smell after drying, which gives me some hope.
I guess i'll risk it...
Thanks again ric.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:02 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Not quite sure why you posted a question if you were going to use it no matter what people said anyhow? Did you want affirmation that paint that smells rotten and is growing bugs is alright?

You said you are painting a canvas. I know the imagery of starving artists well. You are not priming a canvas with rotten paint or primer and planning to paint a masterpiece on it are you? Leonardo tried using paints that didn't match and it didn't work out so well.

Last edited by user1007; 09-27-2012 at 05:05 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:41 AM   #7

I was trying to find a remedy for slightly spoiled paint. Not finding any, having been told there's a decent chance no adverse effects will result from using it and, as i said, not having the luxury of throwing stuff in the trash, specially when in this recession, people might be eating off it, helped me come to that conclusion Sdsester.

Not a starving artist, i dropped out of college precisely for being sick of all the prejudice about what art and artists should and shouldn't be. I may be "starving" and i may be an "artist" but i sure as hell ain't "imagery". I put all my hard earned money on opening my own business in April this year. I'm struggling to get out of debt, and will be for a long time still. I've quit pretty much every indulgence (smoking, coffee, buying books, going to the movies, pretty much everything that makes life enjoyable), because every dime i make is used to pay bills. I can't afford an appartment, so i moved back in with my parents. Things suck right now, but i'm happy because i'm building my own future from scratch with my own sweat and skill, and i'm working on what i love, which in these times is as much a luxury as anything else - i'll gladly trade it for all the other ones. So yeah, i'll eat a slightly bruised apple, i'll wear a t-shirt with a couple of holes in it, and i'll definitely paint with what i can salvage... Thanks for your constructive feedback.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:01 AM   #8

Quote:
I was trying to find a remedy for slightly spoiled paint. Not finding any, having been told there's a decent chance no adverse effects will result from using it and, as i said, not having the luxury of throwing stuff in the trash, specially when in this recession, people might be eating off it, helped me come to that conclusion Sdsester.

Not a starving artist, i dropped out of college precisely for being sick of all the prejudice about what art and artists should and shouldn't be. I may be "starving" and i may be an "artist" but i sure as hell ain't "imagery". I put all my hard earned money on opening my own business in April this year. I'm struggling to get out of debt, and will be for a long time still. I've quit pretty much every indulgence (smoking, coffee, buying books, going to the movies, pretty much everything that makes life enjoyable), because every dime i make is used to pay bills. I can't afford an appartment, so i moved back in with my parents. Things suck right now, but i'm happy because i'm building my own future from scratch with my own sweat and skill, and i'm working on what i love, which in these times is as much a luxury as anything else - i'll gladly trade it for all the other ones. So yeah, i'll eat a slightly bruised apple, i'll wear a t-shirt with a couple of holes in it, and i'll definitely paint with what i can salvage... Thanks for your constructive feedback.

Welcome to the world of small business
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
lifemare (09-28-2012)
Old 09-28-2012, 10:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
Welcome to the world of small business
Ahahahah! Indeed! Didn't mean to sound self-comiserating - just stating the facts, so i don't come off as just being a cheap bastard
I'm pretty sure i'm just one in many going through the same ordeals...
Thanks for the reminder toolseeker. and best of luck to your own business!

The Following User Says Thank You to lifemare For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (09-28-2012)