Painting Six Panel Interior Doors - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-30-2011, 01:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Painting six panel interior doors

Is it acceptable to use a roller when painting six panel interior doors? My contractor used what they are calling a "wiz" and it has left tiny bumps all over the doors. They now have a sort of leather looking finish. My husband previously painted the doors with a brush and they came out nice and smooth. Shouldn't I expect the same finish done by a professional?

Advertisement

miche99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:55 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,272

If you did not specify what was to be used.........you end up getting what you got. If using a whiz roller, I usually backbrush through the paint to give it that glass-like finish. You could also spec them to spray.

Advertisement

Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:58 PM   #3

I feel that I should get what I got to start out with.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:24 PM   #4
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 530

Quote:
Originally Posted by miche99 View Post
Using a mini roller, whizz roller is common for a lot of painting task including doors. When using a mini roller on doors I usually back brush.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:08 AM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

I liked doing panel doors, if using latex semi, with a nice quality 2.5 inch sash brush and Floetrol added to the paint. I used top notch paint too. And of course nice primer too. Not sure it is the right way but the crusty old geezers who taught me years ago had me start with inset panel trims of the door. Then the inset. Last the horizontal parts of the frame and finally the vertical ones.

For flat doors I used Floetrol and a thick 3/4 nap roller. chrisn who I respect a lot from comments does not believe I can git a smooth mirror like finish on doors with such a roller cover. I hope he responds to this with his approach.

Last edited by user1007; 05-01-2011 at 12:11 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:08 AM   #6
ltd

Rewards Points: 508

imo, generally speaking ,if door has a smooth brush finish than i give them a smooth brush finish.this is a perfect example of how a paint estimate can vary in price by hundreds of dollars depending on the amount of work. is this acceptable ? if it is neat and clean ,paint adhering,and a soft stipple some would say yes .would i do it that way?
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:07 AM   #7
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,214

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
I liked doing panel doors, if using latex semi, with a nice quality 2.5 inch sash brush and Floetrol added to the paint. I used top notch paint too. And of course nice primer too. Not sure it is the right way but the crusty old geezers who taught me years ago had me start with inset panel trims of the door. Then the inset. Last the horizontal parts of the frame and finally the vertical ones.

For flat doors I used Floetrol and a thick 3/4 nap roller. chrisn who I respect a lot from comments does not believe I can git a smooth mirror like finish on doors with such a roller cover. I hope he responds to this with his approach.
I still find it hard, but , if you say you can, then I guess you can. Me, I just use a 2 1/2 in brush

I do not think I would encourage a DYI to use a 3/4 nap for this project

Last edited by chrisn; 05-01-2011 at 07:10 AM.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:28 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
I still find it hard, but , if you say you can, then I guess you can. Me, I just use a 2 1/2 in brush

I do not think I would encourage a DYI to use a 3/4 nap for this project
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:54 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by miche99 View Post

Very good thought.

mark942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:09 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
If you did not specify what was to be used.........you end up getting what you got. If using a whiz roller, I usually backbrush through the paint to give it that glass-like finish. You could also spec them to spray.
Not trying to fan any flame, but that's just plain wrong.

People generally hire a "pro" thinking they should know what they are doing. While I think everyone should try and be informed about projects before starting, you shouldn't have to spec every tiny detail about every little thing.
JoeLena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:48 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLena View Post

People generally hire a "pro" thinking they should know what they are doing. While I think everyone should try and be informed about projects before starting, you shouldn't have to spec every tiny detail about every little thing.
That's not cut and dry. While I agree that not every little detail needs to be spec'd and that an HO would naturally assume the use of a brush, there are some details we don't know. Were the doors smooth or textured panels? What quality of material was used? I've used whizz's on textured panels with a quality finish at times, and as a perfectionist pro, I had no problem with them as the door texture absorbs the whizz texture. I've also used mohair whizz's on smooth doors that looked factory finished and beautiful. If the painter used a nappy whizz on a smooth surface door, that's wrong, and the HO is justified. What did the HO pay for the job? Was the painter a lowball, and the lowest price? Did the HO ask for a review/adjustment of the original price, whether lowball or not? I've adjusted prices before under certain situations, and changing from brushing to rolling doors might be a way to help reduce the price. Asking a contractor for a bid reduction is asking for less detailed work and acceptance of that fact is only realistic. The issue of price is vital, as most problems that HO's have with painters/finished products usually come down to the price they paid. We see it time and again. It's a widespread problem, so much so, that it motivates me to do what I'm currently doing. Go to my blog and read my about page. I'm not attacking the HO, and this may not be the case here, but if it is, it can be a valuable learning experience. People just don't know, and there I agree with you Joe, people need to educate themselves.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (05-01-2011), housepaintingny (05-01-2011), mustangmike3789 (05-01-2011), spraygunn (05-01-2011)
Old 05-01-2011, 08:59 AM   #12

I think after further review, " a Leather-like finish" to the doors means there is more than a problem with how the doors were finished. Maybe some bad paint was used.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLena View Post

Joe you're not fanning a flame, but, think about this........the project went wrong right from the get-go due to lack of communication. The doors ended up with a "leather-like" finish. Did the painter ask questions? Did the HO? My first question would have been, "Would you like them to look as they did in the past.......with a glassy-smooth finish?" For all we know, the HO may have provided flat Dutch-Boy paint. Anyway, this story really went south because the communication was lacking in a big way.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:16 AM   #14

Thanks for all the replies. We have been communicating pretty well. The project first went south when they didn't believe me when I told them that they were last painted with latex. The doors were in great shape. The only needed a freshening up and to match the color of the new crown molding that was installed. Because they convinced themselves that they were dealing with an oil paint, they decided to prime with a product that would allow them to convert to latex. The product was thick and when they brushed it on it left deep grooves from the brush strokes. It looked like an animal had been scratching the doors.
They tried to remedy this by hand sanding but they couldn't get the finish smooth. Finally they had to use an electric sander to almost get back to bare wood. That at least got back to a smooth feel. Then they primed and rolled the doors with one coat and no back brushing. We no longer have the deep grooves. They have been replaced with stipple. We just want to get back to where we began.
Thanks again to everyone. Your comments have been much appreciated.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:49 PM   #15

Miche, I am sorry this project did not turn out the way you wanted. Now, hearing more of your story, it makes much more sense. It sounds as if you communicated your wishes quite well. I wonder what type of primer they used? In a case like this I like a bonding primer which goes on dead flat. Then, you can topcoat with whatever you want, latex or oil. I prefer a SG or high gloss for doors.......SW's Proclassic goes on buttery smooth and dries to a glassy, high gloss finish. At least your painters are making strides to correct their mistakes.

Advertisement