Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-15-2013, 09:20 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Painting simple wooden columns on my porch

Hello all this is my first post. I usually just google this type of stuff till I find answers but that usually leaves me so confused I don't retain the information like I should. So... I figured I'd start coming to a place to ask the pros questions.

My question is about 4 simple wooden columns that were used on my porch out front. They are a simple off white color and it seems to just be a base coat of some sort (not glossy in the least) because the paint isn't even really uniform or good looking whatsoever. I want to repaint but I'm not sure how to go about it exactly. So I just sand all the paint off and repaint because that seems like a lot of work. Do I just sand it a little and paint over top of it?

I was not around when we purchased the home due to being stationed overseas and then a year long deployment after my wife moved into the house without my being there.

Sojumonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:50 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Welcome! Don't be shy about asking questions. We get a little carried away at times but for the most part I hope you find us a fairly patient and helpful crowd. Anyhow, I hope this makes some sense...

You want to remove any chipping, flaking or otherwise obviously failing paint with a SHARP scraper. I like draw type (pull them toward you) scrapers the best for most things. Two-handed ones like this give you lots of control and cutting power. There is nothing more dangerous (and ineffective) than a dull bladed tool! If you have a lot of rough areas to even out, a handheld orbital palm sander may be a wise purchase along with some 85 (to start) and 100 or 120 grit paper. Paint gums up paper in a hurry sorry so shop for deals on bulk. 85 is more coarse than you would use on interior trim though so do not go overboard.

Fill any holes or gaps and make any repairs required. Sand them out and then scruff all surfaces up with 85 grit to fine 100-120 grit paper (if the existing surface is smooth) if you want to ensure superior primer and paint adhesion. Clean the surfaces to be painted thoroughly. Then spot prime bare spots, repairs, etc. with a quality bonding primer like Zinsser 123 or 123+ (has a stain blocker). It is not a bad idea to have some of the stuff, properly stored, on hand for things and a gallon will be cheaper than buying in quarts. Never store more paint or primer than you plan to use in a relatively short period of time though.

If rusting nail heads are an issue, hit them with a rust converting/inhibiting primer. If just a few, you can buy a rattle can for this.

Apply two coats of quality paint store, not box store, paint.

You can get exterior trim paint in different sheens but most stick to sort of satin finish. Up to you though. I would stay away from gloss for porch posts though. We do not expect to see shiny sheens on exterior trim like we do interior equivalents?

Now then, if you are seeing extreme variations in the existing paint finish, or "chalking" typical of oil finishes, you should consider a coat of bonding primer to equalize things before the paint. Again, something like Zinsser 123 will do the trick. Your finish coat should be the best acrylic you can afford. Not much reason to use solvent based paints on exteriors anymore.

Using 1/2" to 3/4" nap roller covers (depending on the texture of the posts) will make short work of this project. Make sure you also have a sturdy roller handle frame and handle. You also need a good brush suited to the type of paint you are using though too---even if just chasing the roller or for cutting in where the roller cannot reach.

Expect to pay $15 or so retail for a Purdy or Wooster brush. Take care of it and you will have it a long time though. I bought mainly 2.5" or 3" angled sash brushes for general use but a nice 4" brush comes in handy for multi-purpose exterior work.

Threaten to re-up if the Honey Do List gets too long too fast! Glad to have you back and thanks for your service by the way!

Last edited by user1007; 08-15-2013 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Corrections Made - Added Image of Scraper
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
Sojumonkey (08-15-2013)
Old 08-15-2013, 12:10 PM   #3

Awesome reply! Thanks for the time it took to write all that out. I do already have a handheld sander and paintbrushes in addition to a few rollers. I'm going to get to work washing the posts well and try to get a list together and hit lowes this afternoon. thanks!
Old 08-15-2013, 12:16 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojumonkey View Post
Awesome reply! Thanks for the time it took to write all that out. I do already have a handheld sander and paintbrushes in addition to a few rollers. I'm going to get to work washing the posts well and try to get a list together and hit lowes this afternoon. thanks!
Wish I could get you into the good habit of buying paint and paint supplies at a paint store. Among other things, you may one day need advice faster than we can provide it. You are unlikely to get it from a minimum wage apron person called over from stocking plumbing fittings or watering plants in the garden department to help you with paint in a box store.

Doesn't really matter for this thread but you might update your profile with basic geographic information so we know where you are in responding to future threads.

Last edited by user1007; 08-15-2013 at 12:23 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
Sojumonkey (08-15-2013), ToolSeeker (08-15-2013)
Old 08-15-2013, 08:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Wish I could get you into the good habit of buying paint and paint supplies at a paint store. Among other things, you may one day need advice faster than we can provide it. You are unlikely to get it from a minimum wage apron person called over from stocking plumbing fittings or watering plants in the garden department to help you with paint in a box store.

Doesn't really matter for this thread but you might update your profile with basic geographic information so we know where you are in responding to future threads.
Took care of that! Thanks for reminding me.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:38 PM   #6

The main thing is how well adhered the current paint is to the substrate. If it is strong, then a quick cleaning and light sanding is all that's needed. If it's failing in places, don't skimp on the prep work.

jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeffnc For This Useful Post:
Sojumonkey (08-17-2013), user1007 (08-16-2013)