DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Painting second floor exteroir

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Gymschu 
#1 ·
How do you guys paint the exteroir of your house when it's two stories? I was thinking of renting some staging and doing it but wanted to see what you guys do.

In the process of buying a home and was just curious

#4 ·
I figured ladders would be best for portability but thought staging would be better for stability. I would rent a scissors lift but those are expensive seeing that I would take my time.

Do you guys just use extension ladders? Those are a little unstable I feel the higher you go. I don't want to spend too much on a setup seeing that I'll switch to vinyl siding in 5 or so years when I get settled in.

I would like pictures of setups!

#5 ·
It might just be me, but, ladders work best. Staging is great, don't get me wrong but with my inventory of ladders I can usually reach any part of a home and paint large chunks of siding without having to move the ladder(s) too much. I mean, at my age, I hate going up and going down over and over. Sometimes for large expanses I use ladder jacks and planking which is the poor man's staging. I guess it's what you can afford and what you feel comfortable doing. I feel right at home on ladders so they don't bother me. I simply get them situated on solid ground, do a test run up the rungs, and I'm good to go.

#8 ·
May be cheaper and safer to just pay someone to paint the house for you if your that skidish on a ladder.
Could even have them just paint the top part.
Good safe ladders are not cheap.

#9 · (Edited)
joecaption said:
May be cheaper and safer to just pay someone to paint the house for you if your that skidish on a ladder.
Could even have them just paint the top part.
Good safe ladders are not cheap.
Is there a preference in which way to use ladder jacks in safer on the inside or the outside? The outside kind of looks like it'll be tipsy. I've never painted a house but have been on extension ladders for being an electrician helper.

I probably will be better off with renting the ladders.

A good question is: how do you paint behind the electrical Meter Pipe.

#10 ·
Is there a preference in which way to use ladder jacks in safer on the inside or the outside? The outside kind of looks like it'll be tipsy. I've never painted a house but have been on extension ladders for being an electrician helper.

I probably will be better off with renting the ladders.

A good question is: how do you paint behind the electrical Meter Pipe.

I am going to go with Joe's second post on this:)eek:). You would be better off hiring a painter to do the top part.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.