Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-05-2011, 01:09 PM   #1

Share |

Painting and Sealing Stairs

If this is a duplicate, please feel free to direct me. Here's what I have going...
A real nice old curved staircase, with some serious patina. I like patina, so that's ok to stay. However, on the edges, particularly where the spindles are attached, it's gone beyond patina into "why did you destroy these stairs?". So my plan is to paint the risers and the sides of the treads, and leave the middle of the treads alone, sort of forming a runner kind of look.

The issue I'm having is that I'm unsure of what sort of painting and sealing products to use. Sanding and prepping is not an issue for me. I'm thinking of using just standard latex on the risers and the edges of the runners, then putting a few coats of clear floor poly over the whole thing. Might even use some wallpaper to dress up the risers a bit too...assuming something exists that will withstand the abuse.

ADthxVance for your help...
wigglybungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:39 PM   #2

You can use basically any paint you like, and use a clear coat that is spec'd to protect painted finishes, as far as compatibility. I've clear coated loads of paint finished surfaces.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
wigglybungle (08-06-2011)
Old 08-06-2011, 02:50 PM   #3

thx for the help! ... one thing tho....are there products on the market that will stick to both raw wood AND painted surfaces?
wigglybungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 06:53 PM   #4

Yeah, just go to a regular paint store and tell them what you need. Good luck wiggly.

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stairs