Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-26-2007, 06:56 PM   #1

Share |

painting or sealing a bodybuilding bar

I have a bar (pics available if needed but I think you can picture it ), a standard 45lbs olympic bench press bar. It's pretty rusted.

At first I thought it was cool, just made it more 'raw' lol!

Now I'm sick of getting rust all over my hands and back from squatting with it haha, and was wondering how to approach this.

I know getting the rust off isn't a big deal, but what about refinishing it? If I get the rust off (acetic acid? CLR? Whatever!), adn I'm back to a shiny bar, since its factory coating is gone won't it just rust up again anyways?

If this'll just stay nice and shiny for a while w/o any coatings/treatments after I clean/remove rust, that's cool, but if I do need to do somethign for it plz let me know

<<sooo off topic, but how great is craigslist? Took me less than half a week to find exactly what I wanted, pretty much full scale powerlifting setup for $50!!!!!>>

joeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 05:52 AM   #2

Craiglist is terrible. There are so many scams on there you are taking a huge risk.

If you want something clear to seal it you could try something like Val-oil. It's an oil based sealer for stone, metal, wood etc. If you want to paint it try a rust inhibitive paint. Hammerite Rustcap was a good one but not readily available anymore.

Old 11-27-2007, 06:28 PM   #3

Craigslist rules man, there's no way around that! You are right, there are scams and everything, you gotta be careful. But that being said, there's just so much great stuff. I just got that whole setup for $50 and only had to scope the lists for 3 or 4 days. Also, a few months back, I got a 4' X 8' piece of glass, 3/4" thick, double bullnose edge, for FREE from craigslist - I made some awesome <concrete and glass> legs and now have the coolest living room table I've ever seen

<<I totally know what you mean though about scams, I wouldn't recommend my mother go on there for anything expensive lol, but if you know how to navigate and what to do it can be a great place is all I meant!>>

About that oil stuff, won't it make the bar slick? I guess I was looking more for a coating, hell I dunno what I'm looking for lol - I just couldn't put something oily on it if it's gonna affect grip because it'd be an inconvenience and even potentially dangerous given the application. I just know it's rusty, I know how to clean it, don't wanna see it rusty like 2 weeks after I clean it hahaha!
Old 11-27-2007, 07:17 PM   #4
Pro Painter

Use the oil. It won't make it slick. As a matter of fact, you'll be glad for the oil when the blisters start to raise. Heh, aren't you using chaulk anyway?

Paint tends to burn your hands.
joewho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 05:58 AM   #5

Val-oil doesn't stay slick and oily. It does dry down.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:05 AM   #6

Miracle Paint is the shiz nittle bang. I used it on a utility trailer of mine.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by joewho View Post
Use the oil. It won't make it slick. As a matter of fact, you'll be glad for the oil when the blisters start to raise. Heh, aren't you using chaulk anyway?

Paint tends to burn your hands.
Good to know about the paint - a small part of me thought it'd be kind of funky to do the bar in a gunmetal gray or some other gray (industrial quality) spray paint, and just leave the ends of the bar raw, as I doubt any paint will stay in place there (I don't use collars so the plates tend to bounce lol).

Nope, no need for chalk yet, but will soon enough. Just got the setup, and the bar + weights are 310lbs, I can deadlift that once or twice and no need for chalk (or a switch grip surprisingly, figured I'd need to split grip to lift that but didn't ). My all time max is a scratch over 400, and I know whenever I was pulling that I needed a switch grip and chalk - but until I get some more plates I won't be using chalk
<<I'm actually thinking of just getting chains. The thing I hate is that, since I'm in the garage, there's no spotter. Even with catch bars for squat/bench, it's less safe w/o a spotter. I like the chain idea because if anything ever went wrong the bar's waaaay lighter at it's low point, so I'm kind of torn between getting another pair of 45 plates, or a bunch of heavy chains from home depot lol>>

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppameth View Post
Val-oil doesn't stay slick and oily. It does dry down.
Nice! Very good to know.

Poppa - if I *didn't* put any oil on this, but rather just cleaned the rust away (I was figuring some good scrubbing with water, vinegar, CLR, soemthing), would it come right back? I've never had my own bar before, I always either went to real gyms, and the only home gym I had I had adjustable dumbbells only, and opted for the plastic coated handles on those..
Old 11-29-2007, 05:53 AM   #8

I'm not real familiar with body building equipment. I'm a runt. But from the bars I've seen most have some sort of plating on them. Once that plating has worn away then yes they will continue to rust. It may take quite some time for it to rust back to the point where it is now though.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:39 AM   #9

coolness! I think I'll just do a clean, give it time to rust back up, and base any further approaches on that time period.

Thanks guys!
Old 11-29-2007, 04:07 PM   #10

What about the plastic coat stuff they sell at Home Depot for tool grips etc. I'm just guessing but you might want to play around with it.
Concordseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 05:15 PM   #11

plasti-dip? If that's what you mean it'll never hold up, I did a metal case for my treo/cell phone with that stuff and it didn't last long, it def wouldn't hold up on a bar (I used the spray version - perhaps the dip stuff is better, although I don't know how I'd approach that with something that isn't dip-able... I think I'll just clean it and see how long before it rusts again!)