DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Painting rooms / Paint questions

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  jimn01 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello everybody, I was browsing for a popular DIY chatroom so that I could learn a bit from forum threads and posts.

I am trying to paint the whole upstairs of my home which required extensive patching after I had knob & tube removed. All the patches are smooth to the touch. Walls are plaster with drywall compound on them.

I went to home depot and purchased the following primer/sealer that I plan to use inside the home:
BEHR PREMIUM PLUS Interior Enamel Undercoater, Primer & Sealer,
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/premium-plus-interior-enamel-undercoater-primer-sealer-186l/939612

My first question, location bathroom:
I do realize that we need to use a special mold and mildew resistant paint in the bathroom.

I purchased Zinsser Mold and Mildew Proof Washroom/Kitchen paint.
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/perma-white-satin-38l/943751

This paint is a primer/paint in the white color.

I applied the Zinsser paint in the bathroom and it shows some small imperfection with some drywall compound patches. Am I able to use the Behr Premium Plus primer/sealer that I want to use in the other rooms in the washroom, then paint with the zinsser?

I want to have the bathroom a different color then what the Zinsser product is (white), would I be safe to paint over the Zinsser paint with the color of my choosing?

Here is a photo of how the walls came out with the Zinsser paint applied:

My next question is regarding the rest of the rooms.
I starting painting the ceiling in the office with the Behr Premium Plus primer. It was coming out great. My idea goal was to use a primer/paint for the ceiling but I figure this might be a good option instead, no?

I painted one wall to test how the patches were being covered up by the primer.

This was the outcome:

Would it be best to put on a second coat of primer on the wall? or would one coat suffice? The color I want to go with is not neon green but a flat teal.

Thank you

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
One coat of primer is all you ever need for new drywall.

If you have spent any sort of time reading the forums, you will know that 99.9% of us painting contractors would steer you away from Behr paint, but, if it works for you, and you are pleased with the results, carry on.

#3 ·
Thank you for the reply. I've read a bit in regards to Behr paint but this primer had good reviews. I guess from a non-professional it should suffice. The plaster walls I would plan to tear down hopefully someday in the future and lay drywall so I would consider better paint products then. These walls aren't in the best condition and being at this renovation for 3 months now I'm tired and just want to live in the house and not pay for two living areas.

What do you think about the bathroom? Since the tub and tiles are an almond color, I would like to paint it a light color to help blend those in.

Should I use a regular primer/sealer for the bathroom also, then apply the mold/mildew proof paint, then apply our color choosing?

I am really confused with how to paint the bathroom.

#6 ·
Watch how much sheen you use on a wall. Semi-gloss shows every bump, imperfection glitch etc in the dry wall. I would not go any more than egg shell. As far as Behr paint, I know one respected consumer magazine always rates it highly. Here are the problems I have with Behr. Where one coat of SW or BM would do, I have to use two for Behr. Where two coats of the other are needed I needed three for Behr. When I bought my house, I got a bunch of orange apron gift cards. I bought paint. I painted our master bedroom with Behr, a warm white over a cool white. Not exactly a tough cover. After the second coat, it still wasn't looking right. At least I got the Orange apron coat guys to give me the two gallons for the third coat, but it was my labor. I used Glidden(the other Orange apron paint at the time). A very pale mauve covered a medium pale green wall in a single coat. That room still looks good. I had to repaint the other Behr bedroom since. Also, I find Behr flat impossible to clean where my BM and SW walls clean quickly with a damp sponge. The Behr deck stain I bought at the time lasted one year, the others I use last two to three. No matter what the reviews I am done with Behr.

#4 ·
Prime, then two coats of your topcoat. You can get the Zinsser Mildew proof paint tinted to whatever color you want. There is no need to paint with the mildew proof paint and then paint with the Behr on top. In fact, unless you have moisture issues, or potential moisture issues in your bathroom, you really don't need to apply a specific mildew proof paint on your walls.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.