DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Painting room finally

4K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  jsheridan 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

My first post here but it will be a long one. My name is Ben, and I am 18 (just a little knowledge for everyone here). So I made the move into my sisters old room. She had her walls painted a yellowish shade, really baby blue curtains, and a nasty blue rug color. Unfortunately, I do not have the money to do anything about my rug at this time, so that will have to stay for now. I want to paint my room desperately. So here we go.

1. I have a popcorn ceiling, and it needs to go. I'm 6' 3" tall, so when i wake up and stretch in the morning, i cut the hell out of my knuckles. Also, our roof was replaced recently, but not before my room got hit with some water stains on the ceiling. If i do remove the popcorn ceiling, will the stains come with it? I only need to spray it all down with warm water first then use a putty scraper, right?

2. The walls are a mess. They were originally white, then she wanted this horrible pure blue, then she wanted yellow. The painters were horrible also both times. They didn't tape anything, thought they were all pro or something, and got paint over all the trimming around the room. It looked like hell. So I wanted to re-stain all the trimming as well. Do i have to take this down to do it? Or can it be done while it is still up?

3. I kind of had a rough point in my life where i was constantly angry, and one night, I put my head through my window. Well not all the way through, but i did absolutely shadered the first pane of glass on the bottom half of the window. How do i get this type of window out to bring it somewhere to get fixed? Or can i just do it myself? I know a place where i can get the glass and all that but would it be cheaper to have someone do it? Also, Ive never done something like this before, so would it be a good idea for me to try it not having a single idea on what to do?

4. Should i strip my walls first? There seems to be a lot of paint along the trim. Its very hard to explain so the picture is what i mean i guess. I hate the way this room looks now. I need it to be my way ASAP!

5. Should the ceiling be the same color as the walls, or should that be white? All of the other ceilings in my house are white, so I dont know if I should make mine any different, even though i am the only one that is ever in my room besides my friends.

6. I am big into lifting (working out) and motivational quotes help me a lot. Being severely depressed, I tend to become wrapped up in my own head, but seeing quotes, or short video clips inspire me to be better then that. My goal for my room was to take the biggest section of wall that I have, and write in big bold black letters " Every Day Is Training Day!". I didn't know what color paint to use on the walls for this to show through, and i really dont want a white.

7. What kind of tape should I use to tape off my room? Good brands of paint? Stains?

Thanks so much for taking all the time to read all that and check out all the pictures, it means a lot to me. I am looking to start this project ASAP, but i just wanted to get some final answers to the questions I had.

Thanks again everyone,
Ben L.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey Ben, that's a helluva first post there, quite encompassing. Let's break this down over time. The first thing you need to do is remove the popcorn, and no, the stain won't come with it. The few that I've done I've taken a garden sprayer with hot water and spray the popcorn till it's wet, wetting a section at a time. Allow it about fifteen minutes to soak. Before you get up to scape, wet the next section so that it's soaking while you scrape the previous. I use a 6 inch spackle knife and slide it across the ceiling. It should slide off pretty easy. Just leap frog your way across the ceiling. It's messy so you have make sure you protect the floor and any furniture. I also hold a lightweight trash can under as I scrape to collect it as it falls. Saves clean-up. After your done, wipe the ceiling down with a wet rag and clear water. Let the ceiling dry out for a day or two.
Then you need to stain seal the water stain with either Zinsser Cover Stain or Kilz Primer. Go to home depot and tell the paint guy what you need to do and have him help you get the tools you need. Check around the house for any paint tools before you buy them.
When you get to this point, come back and we'll discuss the next steps to get you going.
BTW, from the pics, it looks like they left tape on the door frames, not paint. Take a razor blade and run it down the length of the frame right where the wood frame meets the wall and peel the tape off. Or, leave it there till after you paint, then pull it.
Take it easy, please.

#3 ·
Hey Ben, that's a helluva first post there, quite encompassing. Let's break this down over time. The first thing you need to do is remove the popcorn, and no, the stain won't come with it. The few that I've done I've taken a garden sprayer with hot water and spray the popcorn till it's wet, wetting a section at a time. Allow it about fifteen minutes to soak. Before you get up to scape, wet the next section so that it's soaking while you scrape the previous. I use a 6 inch spackle knife and slide it across the ceiling. It should slide off pretty easy. Just leap frog your way across the ceiling. It's messy so you have make sure you protect the floor and any furniture. I also hold a lightweight trash can under as I scrape to collect it as it falls. Saves clean-up. After your done, wipe the ceiling down with a wet rag and clear water. Let the ceiling dry out for a day or two.
Then you need to stain seal the water stain with either Zinsser Cover Stain or Kilz Primer. Go to home depot and tell the paint guy what you need to do and have him help you get the tools you need.:eek: Check around the house for any paint tools before you buy them.
When you get to this point, come back and we'll discuss the next steps to get you going.
BTW, from the pics, it looks like they left tape on the door frames, not paint. Take a razor blade and run it down the length of the frame right where the wood frame meets the wall and peel the tape off. Or, leave it there till after you paint, then pull it.
Take it easy, please.

Restraint aside, I am not wild about THAT advise. I would recommend going to a real paint store where whomever is working there most likely has some knowledge of painting.:yes:

#6 ·
Everyone,
Thanks for the fantastic responses! jsheridan, i would like to ask a little bit beyond what you told me. If i do get rid of the ceiling, then that would be one thing, but since it is not my house i do not have final say. If i can not remove the ceiling, then what would i do? And do i only get the kilz primer? I dont need actual paint as well? And will I be painting my ceiling white again, or the same color as the rest of the room?

Thanks again everyone,
Ben

(P.S.- I am big into computers, and have been posting on forums like sevenforums.net and vistax64.com for years now. Very good sites, check them out if you need any computer help!)

#10 ·
"If i do get rid of the ceiling."
You are talking about the popcorn here right?

If i can not remove the ceiling, then what would i do? And do i only get the kilz primer?

You will first paint with Kilz primer, this will cover the stains on the ceiling and prevent them from bleeding though the finish coat.

I dont need actual paint as well? And will I be painting my ceiling white again, or the same color as the rest of the room?

Yes you will be painting the ceiling with a finish coat, ceiling white is a preference with many people as it is flat paint with low reflectivity.

Thanks again everyone,
Ben

(P.S.- I am big into computers, and have been posting on forums like sevenforums.net and vistax64.com for years now. Very good sites, check them out if you need any computer help!

Mark

#11 ·
Ben, I guess what you're saying is you need to get permission to remove the popcorn, right? Has the water stain damaged the popcorn surface/texture? If so that would mean it needs repair as well. Popcorn ceilings don't turn out well when rolled, and should be sprayed. The roller and the water in the paint damage the popcorn texture. Between the possible popcorn repair and the need to spray the ceiling to hide the stain and repaint, the removal of the popcorn is the fastest and least expensive way to get the ceiling refinished. I guess you need to have a conversation with your parents, now you have an idea what you're talking about. Get back when you get an answer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.