Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-06-2012, 04:15 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Painting with a roller, what am I doing wrong?

Hi all, I was looking for an active forum that I could use to ask questions on different projects I have and this appears to be the place (I hope).

So I just finished painting a wall and am a little unsatisfied with the results.

It looks good head on but from the side I clearly messed up since you can see several lines where the look and texture is slightly different. I used a 1/2 inch nap for this project, which I seem to struggle with more (it was necessary since I did some mud patching and needed to match the existing texture, when I first used a smaller nap I had a more uniform paint job but the mudded parts looked different and too smooth).

Also I pained from top to bottom, which are what the "lines" are. I think they are where I transitioned from one section to the next.

Is this a case of not keeping a wet edge? I've done a fair amount of painting but I can't say I've figured out the secret to making it as smooth as I would like (did I mention I'm a perfectionist?). This wall is a bit worse than others in my house since it's probably one that I pass the most and it has good enough lighting that it's easier to pick out.

Thanks in advance for any help.

(Also, would you recommend any of the extender additives to ensure a smoother job?)

nehalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:44 PM   #2

Working a roller does take some practice. A big mistake most novices make is NOT loading the roller up til it's sopping wet. You want to roll it into the paint about a dozen times when you start out to really lube it up. Once it's loaded up with paint start from the top (like you did) and work your way down all the way to the bottom. A 9-18 inch swath is best for a beginner. Move fairly quickly onto the next swatch and do the same. Let the roller do the work, don't push down or you will squeeze paint out and create lines. Keep it loaded with paint. I like to load it until it's just about dripping with paint & then I take it to the wall.

Also, remember ONE coat won't do the job. It will take two (sometimes 3) coats to get a professional looking job. P.S. Paint quality is of the utmost importance. Using paint from Wal-mart just won't cut it.

Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
Jay 78 (04-06-2012), user1007 (04-06-2012)
Old 04-06-2012, 07:18 PM   #3

You should also prime the mudded areas to seal, and that way the finish paint will build more effectively and achieve the same texture as the rest of the wall.

They key to avoiding those 'lines' is keeping a wet edge, yes. If the paint dries partially from one section to the next it can affect the finish.

ARC Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:27 PM   #4

http://www.diypaintingguide.org/

And, don't overlook all the great info Joe Sheridan has put together.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote