Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-15-2012, 02:14 PM   #1

Share |

Painting reclaimed, treated lumber

Last summer I rebuilt my picket fence, using reclaimed 2 x 4s from my old deck for the main horizontal components. These boards were originally treated and stained, and at a later point had been painted. I sanded off the old paint and then primed and painted the boards with a high-quality Valspar exterior paint.

By late January paint had started peeling off the boards, and now they're simply a mess. (The reclaimed pickets, which also had been treated lumber, are doing just fine. The 2 x 4s, for what it's worth, were at least 17 years old, whereas the pickets were about 10-12 years old.)

The main differences that I can think of between the two boards are:
- The fact the the 2 x 4s had been stained at least once

Before I tackle the 2 x 4s again--and I definitely don't want to have to dismantle the entire fence--I'd like to know if anyone has advice about how to prime the boards so that they don't start peeling again a few months later.

Thanks in advance.

jcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:17 PM   #2

Painting treated lumber is always tricky and really not recommended. The chemicals, etc. in the PT wood are constantly moving through the paint film causing possible peeling issues. We usually stain PT wood if it needs sealed or a color. I would consider staining with a solid color stain. P.S. You really did not say what type of primer and paint you used before. That could be an issue also.

Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:53 PM   #3
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcreek View Post
Last summer I rebuilt my picket fence, using reclaimed 2 x 4s from my old deck for the main horizontal components. These boards were originally treated and stained, and at a later point had been painted. I sanded off the old paint and then primed and painted the boards with a high-quality Valspar exterior paint.

By late January paint had started peeling off the boards, and now they're simply a mess. (The reclaimed pickets, which also had been treated lumber, are doing just fine. The 2 x 4s, for what it's worth, were at least 17 years old, whereas the pickets were about 10-12 years old.)

The main differences that I can think of between the two boards are:
- The fact the the 2 x 4s had been stained at least once

Before I tackle the 2 x 4s again--and I definitely don't want to have to dismantle the entire fence--I'd like to know if anyone has advice about how to prime the boards so that they don't start peeling again a few months later.

Thanks in advance.
I highly doubt that any Valspar paint would be considered "high quality"

Did you also use Valspar primer? latex? oil?
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:49 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Use a quality 100 percent acrylic solid stain instead of primer and paint. Sherwin Williams and MAB make products I know best. Lots of factory colors but also tint bases. Stay away from box store stuff.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote