Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-20-2008, 07:00 AM   #1

Share |

Painting a Radiator

I have an old house that has steam radiators. On some radiators, the paint has peeled up and I need to scrape that off before I can paint them. I have disconnected the 4 worst ones from the walls but am having a difficult time scraping the paint off even though the peeled paint looks like an easy job with a putty knife as a scraper. Yesterday, I tried (1) a heat gun, (2) paint stripper, and (3) a steel brush on my drill but where I have raised scrollwork on the radiator, the paint remains solidly stuck to the metal. My goals are to paint the radiator without obvious irregular surfaces from previous paint jobs and to be able to see the ornamental work. I plan to try a torch today but you would think paint removal would be easier than this!

1. Any advice on removing baked on paint?
2. What shall I paint it with when I am done stripping?

rww502001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 08:56 AM   #2

Painting a Radiator

Firstly, you have to be taking lead precautions. There is almost a 100% chance that you are trying to remove lead-containing paint. Contact your local health department for details as to the laws in your jurisdiction. If you do this improperly, you could get in big trouble when it comes time to sell and you are faced with signing the Lead Paint Disclosure form.

Leave the adhering paint alone, while feathering out the edges with sandpaper. Then prime and topcoat. Your local paint store (NOT BigBox) should be able to point you to the appropriate products. (Probably an oil-base bonding primer, and a high-quality latex topcoat.)

SirWired

sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:05 AM   #3
Painting Company, NY

Painting a Radiator

I would remove the loose paint with a scraper, wire brush and then sand any areas that need it by hand. Apply a 100% acrylic latex paint as a top coat. Latex paint can withstand heat more than oil base paint. We have painted countless radiators with latex and have never had a problem, but use a premium paint. I wouldn't worry about trying to remove paint that is not loose or flaking, prime any bare spots with a DTM primer or Sherwin Williams ProCryl primer.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:12 PM   #4
handpaintedbysteve.com

Painting a Radiator

Hey rww,
Have you considered calling a plumber to remove them and find a company near you that will sand blast them and start as new.?

Steve
www.handpaintedbysteve.com
spraygunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 06:10 PM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Painting a Radiator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spraygunn View Post
Hey rww,
Have you considered calling a plumber to remove them and find a company near you that will sand blast them and start as new.?

Steve
www.handpaintedbysteve.com
That would be the ideal solution
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote