Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-16-2011, 03:01 AM   #1

Share |

Painting questions

Hi everyone, yes I am new to this forum and home ownership too.

I needed plumbing work in the hall bath - remove toilet and dig to fix issue. I thought since they are digging it up - I'll replace the floor!!! This is just a simple DIY cheapo spruce up job. I purchased peel and stick hardwood look from Lumber Liquidators.

Now for the paint questions. The home was built in '78, semi-gloss white on 3 walls and the wet wall has the UGLIEST wallpaper made. Perfect time to rip it off and paint!! While ripping off the wall paper, I noticed that the "dumb-ass" builder didn't have the walls primed first. (got the "dumb-ass" from another post about wallpaper removal). Would Kilz odorless primer (also says seals) seal the paper that's left on the sheet rock, or do I have to get a different sealer (zinners). If I can use the Kilz, do I have to spackle, sand, prime again then paint?

I have a second bathroom with the same awful wallpaper - could I paint over it? What do I have to do, so I don't have to rip it down?

Also, what about tools of the paint trade? I've washed all the walls and started to prime the non wallpapered wall with a paint pad that was recommended by several people - I'll just say I won't win any painting awards lol!! I found it difficult to keep the paint where I wanted it, lots of drips. Glad I decided to paint before laying the floor!

Sorry for the length of this, I'm rather surprised at how bad I am at this. I work with my hands and use tools all day ( I am a pastry chef ) and seem to have a difficult time doing something most people seem to be OK at - maybe not pro quality - but still OK.

I'd appreciate any tips

Thanks,

Jo
Pchefjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:41 PM   #2
LURKER

Painting questions

HI JO, LET ME FIRST STATE THAT I AM NOT A PRO PAINTER, SO YOU MAY TAKE WHAT I SAY WITH A GRAIN OF SALT.
BUT IF IT WERE MY PROJECT I WOULD REMOVE THE LEFT OVER PAPER FROM THE FIRST BATH. PRIME WITH ZINSSER GARDZ, SKIM COAT DRYWALL IMPERFECTIONS, PRIME AND PAINT.
IN THE SECOND BATH YOU CAN PAINT OVER THE PAPER. I WOULD GO WITH ZINSSER B-I-N (BE SURE TO VENTILATE THE AREA WELL) TO PRIME THE PAPER. THEN SKIMCOAT THE WALLPAPER SEAMS, THEN PRIME WITH B-I-N AND PAINT.
FOR APPLICATORS, PERSONALLY I DONT LIKE THE NEWER WANDS, EDGERS ETC...
GOOD OLD BRUSHES AND ROLLERS HAVE ALWAYS WORKED BETTER FOR ME.
GOOD LUCK
SHANE
SCAGNETTI76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:23 PM   #3

Painting questions

Hi Shane, Thanks! I purchased a couple of good brushes. I decided to use the Kilz Odorless oil-based primer - my partner is disabled and has intolerance to paint fumes. I was very please with the product. For the paint, I purchase Fresh-Aire from Home Depot, I got it for $10/gal because they are discontinuing it. I have 2 gallons of color paint for each bath and a gallon of white for each. The baths are small so I'm sure it will be enough.

The papered wall is another story! The concrete is not dry yet - 5 days and still has wet (damp) looking spots!! I did purchase Diff, and I purchased a respirator for me while working in there, exhaust fan on and door closed so the fumes don't get out ( crossing fingers!)

For the second bath, I do plan to paint over the paper with the addition of caulking the edges so they don't pull up.

Thanks again for the advice.

Jo
Pchefjo is offline   Reply With Quote