Painting Question - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-21-2008, 10:44 AM   #1
Joel

Rewards Points: 75
Question

Painting Question

We have a lot of bare drywall walls in our basement that we are finishing and I am looking for a better (faster) way to get them painted. Are any of the power rollers any good? There are very mixed reviews on these on other websites. Or, what about an inexpensive sprayer to get the paint onto the wall after which I could just go over it with a roller? If a sprayer is a good idea, any recommendations on a good unit for this type of interior work? Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisement

Last edited by jweiner; 12-21-2008 at 11:05 AM. Reason: typo
jweiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 11:19 AM   #2
DIY'er

Rewards Points: 1,000

Painting Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweiner View Post
We have a lot of bare drywall walls in our basement that we are finishing and I am looking for a better (faster) way to get them painted. Are any of the power rollers any good? There are very mixed reviews on these on other websites. Or, what about an inexpensive sprayer to get the paint onto the wall after which I could just go over it with a roller? If a sprayer is a good idea, any recommendations on a good unit for this type of interior work? Any help would be appreciated.
I am not a professional painter. However in my experience, spraying inside is really kind of a mess. You have to mask off everything you don't want to get paint on, which can be very time consuming to do properly. I don't think any of the power roller type of things are worth using.

A good roller cover, and good paint with a sturdy roller frame and a nice strong handle make rolling pretty fast.

What size area are we talking about here? Just flat walls? 45' of 8' walls takes me maybe around 1 hour to 1 hour 30m to roll.
jamie

Advertisement

jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 11:41 AM   #3
Joel

Painting Question

Thanks Jamie - unfortunately, we are doing a lot of ceilings and walls down there, and several of the colors are darker colors requiring several coats on the fresh drywall. My wife has been painiting in the media room area for the past three weekends :-)
Old 12-21-2008, 12:10 PM   #4
DIY'er

Painting Question

Quote:
Thanks Jamie - unfortunately, we are doing a lot of ceilings and walls down there, and several of the colors are darker colors requiring several coats on the fresh drywall. My wife has been painiting in the media room area for the past three weekends :-)
If you buy good paint, you will not need more than 2 coats plus primary, at the most, even with the very difficult colors.

Jamie
Old 12-21-2008, 12:49 PM   #5
Joel

Painting Question

"2 coats plus primary?" Do you mean "plus primer?" We are using Sherwin Williams paint and with dark blues, the salesperson told me that there really is no need to prime. He even showed me on the back of the color card that the dark blue color does not need a primer. Typically the deep and dark reds need primers. To be honest, I never understood what the difference is between say two coats of paint or one coat of primer and one coat of paint. We are currently painting bare drywall with one of Sherwin Williams darkest blues (Naval). We just finished the second coat yesterday and we can still see some stripes where the roller was used. Hopefully a third coat will be the last.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:48 PM   #6
DIY'er

Painting Question

Quote:
"2 coats plus primary?" Do you mean "plus primer?" We are using Sherwin Williams paint and with dark blues, the salesperson told me that there really is no need to prime. He even showed me on the back of the color card that the dark blue color does not need a primer. Typically the deep and dark reds need primers. To be honest, I never understood what the difference is between say two coats of paint or one coat of primer and one coat of paint. We are currently painting bare drywall with one of Sherwin Williams darkest blues (Naval). We just finished the second coat yesterday and we can still see some stripes where the roller was used. Hopefully a third coat will be the last.

Yes, primer. Doing to many things right now, and was just trying to respond quickly to a few messages.

Primer helps to prepare the surface to accept the paint. Depending on the surface, the paint will adhere better with primer. ( http://homeimprovement.superpages.co...nt-primer.html ) Your probably ok if SW told you that you don't need primer, although I have always out down at least 1 coat of some type of primer over drywall.

Are you using good roller covers that are cleaned very very well or brand new each time you start to paint? How often are you dipping the roller? Each time you "ink up" your roller with paint, you should get about 8'-10' ln feet painted with it. So bottom to top to bottom, more paint, move over, bottom to top to bottom, and on and on.

I would use white dove rollers or equivalent (or better). About $4 a roller cover.

Either you have not quite perfected your painting method, or it is the paint. If you have a room you have not bought paint for yet, I would search out a Benjamin Moore store, and pick up some of the Aura paint. It is a newer line, and it is expensive, I have used the other BM lines, but not Aura. Aura is suppose to be really really top end, and I have only heard excellent things about it.
( http://www.benjaminmoore.com/bmpsweb...itory%2F518032 )

I think you will find in many colors that Aura is a one coat product. They guarantee it will never require more than 2 coats with any color.

When you say you seeing some stripes, are these just roller marks? Can you post some photos? If they are roller marks, then they can be avoided or worked out while painting, they are hard to get rid of later on.

Jamie
Old 12-21-2008, 01:48 PM   #7

Painting Question

"We just finished the second coat yesterday and we can still see some stripes where the roller was used. Hopefully a third coat will be the last."
You may have two distinct issues here: still visible roller marks (which is a question of 'technique') and number of coats of paint. I also am of the opinion that it shouldn't take more than 2 coats of paint plus a primary in certain situations to cover a wall, sometimes one coat will do.

But if your particular painting 'technique' gives you roller marks, then further coats won't solve that; better technique will. Suggestion? don't press the roller onto the wall too much, let it glide...
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 02:08 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 518

Painting Question

I'm not a professional painter but from what i have read you should always use a primer on new drywall. The way i understand it the primer acts as a seler for new drywall. Maybe you don't need primer for an already painted wall but when you paint over new drywall the paint just soaks into the paper.

As for a sprayer i have read that the sprayers that home depot sells are pretty much junk. You can rent a sprayer for fairly cheap and should be able to do the whole basement in a weekend, depending on how many different colors you have. I recently bought a 400 dollar sprayer for my basement and was done in about 2 hours including clean up. I sprayed a primer and then a top coat and back rolled after each one. It was well worth the money in my opinion.
ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 02:29 PM   #9
Eibwen

Rewards Points: 500

Painting Question

I prefer rolling to spraying anyday. I think you'll get a better paint job. Masking off for spray and the clean up is time consuming.

Get a good primer for your new drywall areas. Maybe even have it tinted a shade or two lighter than your top coat.

Get a screen and a five gallon bucket to paint from versus a paint pan.
It will go a lot faster. New rollers to match your finish texture/paint

Put an adjustable extension handle on your roller so you can paint without stretching or kneeling all day.

As others have said dont use too much pressure and finish with increasing lighter pressure and a "y" pattern to minimize roller marks.
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 03:26 PM   #10
Joel

Painting Question

Here are a couple pictures of the walls showing the streaking after two coats. Should we use new rollers between each session? What my wife has been doing is wrapping the rollers in saran wrap.
Attached Thumbnails
Painting Question-dsc04223.jpg   Painting Question-dsc04225.jpg  
Old 12-21-2008, 03:43 PM   #11
Eibwen

Painting Question

Was the ceiling and walls in the pic's bare drywall before you started painting the blue?

Define "session"

Wrapping the rollers in saran wrap if your taking a 20 minute break but after much longer they need to be cleaned and dried or replaced before the next coat.
Old 12-21-2008, 03:46 PM   #12
Joel

Painting Question

Yep - bare drywall. The guy at Sherwin Williams told us that we didn't necessarily need primer; that only deep reds require a primer. Perhaps he was wrong??? A session means 6-8 hours of painting and then wrapping up the rollers in saran wrap until the next day (or perhaps two days).
Old 12-21-2008, 04:08 PM   #13
Eibwen

Painting Question

Fire the paint guy.

Possible he didnt understand you had bare walls versus walls that were already painted and just doing a color change.

Some of the streaks are your drywall joints showing thru since the joints and the drywall with no compund will absorb paint at different rates. Other streaks may be from application.

If you do five more coats it might even out the way you are doing it now.

I would leave it dry, then prime it with a tinted primer. This will help even out the absoprtion rate... Then top coat.

Make sure to tint the top coat paint by mixing some of each can together in a bucket so the whole batch is the same color. Important on large walls and darker colors.

Take the pics with you when you go back to the paint store.

Rollers can be used for 6-8 hours if they arent left unwrapped during breaks but at the end of the day its clean it or toss it in my book.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:48 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 250

Painting Question

A drywall primer would be a great start. From the pictures it looks like a combination of both sucking into the drywall and roller marks. A common mistake when rolling is pushing the paint out of the roller to make it go a little farther. Rather than doing this just dip the roller again.
If you wanted to speed the project up you could rent a sprayer for about 70 $$ a day. I would suggest spraying your primer tinted pretty close to the finish and back roll with a 18" roller. The spray your top coat while also back rolling with a 18" roller.
I do not know if spraying is the best option for you because of the masking and all often cutting in and rolling is the best option.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:54 PM   #15
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,228

Painting Question

The guy at Sherwin Williams told us that we didn't necessarily need primer;

Very bad advise.

Advertisement

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote