Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-04-2013, 11:48 AM   #1

Share |

painting project starting soon. couple questions

Hi there. Down to last couple coats of drywall mud before sanding and then painting. Couple painting questions.

First, is the drywall primer from Sherwin Williams a preferred choice for priming new drywall?

How many coats of primer should I get?

Colors question... I don't want a flat white ceiling. I'm doing the finishing so the ceiling probably won't be perfect. What's the thought on lightening the wall color and using it on the ceiling. Make the room feel bigger or smaller? Trying to figure out colors.

joshs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:26 PM   #2

A decorator I work with always does ceilings with a 25% formula of the wall color. In other words, the same color as walls just 75% lighter. It looks nice.

Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:31 PM   #3
Jack of all - master none

I've read that on those paint-chip color charts you get from the paint store: pick your wall color, then go up the paint-chip chart 2 steps lighter, and that's what color you should paint the ceiling.

I typically have just white or off-white ceilings, so I can't speak to the validity of doing such.
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:23 PM   #4

I love the look of colored ceilings but I'm not brave enough to do it to my own home. I change colors all the time and painting ceilings is not fun for me, so all of ours are standard white.

Many of the decorating magazines and painting catalogs I see have a lighter wall color on the ceiling. I think it would look awesome.
kimberland30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:29 PM   #5

I'm with you. Looks cool but I'm afraid to do it. ;-)

Any thoughts on which which option would hide imperfections better? Flat white or a flat light color?
Old 06-04-2013, 03:46 PM   #6

I can't really help you out there, sorry! Our ceilings are textured plaster so they are always imperfect, which I love about them (just about the only thing I love about plaster).

Another thing to consider if going with a colored ceiling is how to transition to other rooms. By going with white, you don't have to worry about it. Or repainting the ceiling if you change the color of the walls.
kimberland30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:03 PM   #7
paper hanger and painter

Any flat will hide flaws better than a paint with any sheen. The color should not matter
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (06-05-2013)
Old 06-04-2013, 07:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmayspaint View Post
A decorator I work with always does ceilings with a 25% formula of the wall color. In other words, the same color as walls just 75% lighter. It looks nice.
An interesting idea.

From a maintenance point of view, it sounds like a nightmare, but it might look good.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshs View Post
Any thoughts on which which option would hide imperfections better? Flat white or a flat light color?
IMO gray or gray shades of color hide imperfections better, due to shadows being highlighted with white paint. So I guess theoretically a "light" color should be darker than white, but I wouldn't count on having that make a difference.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshs View Post
First, is the drywall primer from Sherwin Williams a preferred choice for priming new drywall?

How many coats of primer should I get?
I've never heard anything especially good or bad about SW primers. For coats, you mean how many should you put on? Unless you have a very nasty problem, 1 should always be enough (or at least, 1 primer per problem )
Old 06-05-2013, 08:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnc View Post
An interesting idea.

From a maintenance point of view, it sounds like a nightmare, but it might look good.
I have done this at customers request a few times and it came out pretty good. we used to add a small amount of wall paint to ceiling paint just to give it a very lite color. But why do you think it would be a maintenance problem.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:15 AM   #12

For primers in my area it's pretty much sw or whatever home depot has. If sw is ok, I'll go with them.

I think the point about having to change ceiling color if we change wall color convinces me to go with a neutral light ceiling. Maybe a white with a hint of gray to hide imperfections.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 06-05-2013, 09:27 AM   #13
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Multiple coats of primer/sealer really serve you no good, unless you have problems.

As for ceiling color? I hate white ceilings so good for you picking something else. Typical practice is to make the ceiling the same lighter tint of a wall color but you can also make it a darker shade for some dramatic results. This is called a monochromatic color scheme. Nothing wrong with it and it is very safe.

There is no reason you cannot introduce a different color altogether that fits your future decorating scheme.

In the photo shown (a stock photo from the Ben Moore Virtualizer) the client wanted to use the colors in the fabric sample she provided me in a similar room. I chose the green as the main wall body color and the blue gray for the ceiling. The third color was picked up in accent cushions. I actually never saw the finished room but they sent a happy note and paid me!

And I was did a really nice dining room for a client that had lots of both natural daylight and well planned artificial light at night. I picked both a higher sheen and darker color for the ceiling than the walls and they loved it. They had higher ceilings to start though. And I redone them so they were nice and smooth. Without the light, the room would have looked small and oppressive with too much weight looming in the dark ceiling. So don't go overboard.
Attached Images

Last edited by user1007; 06-05-2013 at 09:52 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:31 AM   #14

I like the idea of the darker ceiling but it's a basement. We do have daylight windows and get some natural light but I don't think I'm brave enough to try that. We'll see what we can come up with.

Anyone have any color thoughts as to what would be a nice warm color for a basement family room that would make the space seem bigger?
Old 06-05-2013, 09:49 AM   #15
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Basements present a special challenge because you have limited daylight. So, before I can suggest colors that would be nice. You need to tell me more about the artificial lighting you plan to use. Do you yet know the type and Kelvin temp of the light source and its color rendering index. CRI is almost more important than the color of the light source because it determines how much of the full color spectrum is being emitted. Apples look like apples and oranges like oranges under high CRI index bulbs.

Light sources that only give off light the color of their K temps can really make skin tones, neutral grays and things look wacked. Remember green people under florescent tubes. So bring the color chips you are thinking about for the basement home, or better yet get a sample bottle and try it under the lighting you have.

You can get nice sources of light with decent CRIs. Optimal is considered 100 and good old fashioned incandescents have such ratings. Halogens are not bad and linger above 90 cri. LEDs used to be awful but are now rivaling halogens. With florescents it is all in what you pay for. Typical office bulbs are still pretty bad and around 80.

The trend seems to be toward natural daylight colored light above 5,000K and with a color rendering index of 90 or better.

Those of us who work in color fields use 6500K and 100 CRI (among other factors) as a standard starting point. Your control panel will have a standard setting your monitor to this.

Last edited by user1007; 06-05-2013 at 10:07 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote