Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-24-2005, 11:32 AM   #1

Share |

Painting a problem wall

The home that we have just purchased has a serious bathroom problem. The previous owners removed wallpaper from the walls but didn't bother to remove all of the old wallpaper paste. They then painted over it (a hideous pepto pink I might add) and now I'm not sure how to proceed with repainting. The walls are plaster to begin with and have their own problems being uneven (really uneven) and I'd like to paint it a periwinkle blue. Any suggestions? I really didn't want to have to get out the palm sander but will do anything to get rid of the old "wallpaper netting" running throughout the walls. Thanks in advance

Cbear1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 02:13 PM   #2
Paperhanger/painter

Painting a problem wall

Either the palm sander, or:

Scrape off any/all loose or peeling paint. Apply a coat of oil-based primer. Make sure it is a heavy-bodied, slow-drying long oil. This product is a good example of one. After thoroughly dry, lightly sand, and skim coat the walls with joint compound until smooth. Prime again with an acrylic primer, preferably tinted close to your finish color. Then topcoat with 2 coats of your finish product.