Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-13-2010, 07:55 AM   #1

Share |

painting problem

How can I remedy white painted surfaces that are turning yellow?

decodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:38 AM   #2

painting problem

Wash them?

mark942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:35 AM   #3

painting problem

If there is a lack of sunlight in that area it will cause oil paints to yellow.
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:55 PM   #4

painting problem

Is the paint being exposed to cigarette smoke? If it is, I don't think there's much you can do to stop the color change.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:17 PM   #5

painting problem

Decodi, We need to know what the material is underneath the white paint. Is this white paint over wood, drywall, other color of paint etc. There are several reasons this may happen. If you've painted raw wood then it could be the that the wood was not properly sealed or primed. If it is over another color of paint in particular any color with some reds in it then you can also get some of the yellowing coming through. I know it sounds crazy but it happens. Also tell us what kind of paint you're using. Is it latex, oil, stain blocking, cheap? More information is needed to correctly identify your particular problem.
Aric Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 12:00 AM   #6

painting problem

Sorry...
Nothing can be done. If it's an Oil-based paint, you'll just have to live with it.
True- Lack of sunlight causes Oil paints to yellow over time.
If ya took a white trim board from a closet, and compared to the same color/paint in a light family-room, the closet trim piece will be noticeably more amber after a few years.

What's underneath makes no difference. If the topcoats are Oil, they'll yellow, and nothing will stop it.

...except re-painting of course!

Faron
Faron79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:54 AM   #7

painting problem

Faron, Decodi is looking for a solution. If you're not part of the solution then you're part of the problem. Hopefully you do not tell all your customers that there's nothing they can do. If so then they're going to the next hardware store to get their problems solved.

Decodi...What Faron said is absolutely true with regards to oil paint. Hence more information needed. If you have oil paint then you must simply re-paint. If however you are painting with latex or the yellowing paint is latex then it's an entirely different story. Real world experience has shown us all that the sap and tannins coming from wood WILL come through and discolor ANY light color paint. These areas must first be properly sealed. If this is the case with your condition then go to ACE hardware and Faron will hook you up with some stain blocking primer to encapsulate these areas. Or you may try a paint specific store like Sherwin Williams or Miller Paint. Then you may re-paint these areas. Please let us know of your finding and results as other people reading this thread have the same problem and looking for a suitable solution other than washing.
Aric Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:47 PM   #8

painting problem

Not knowing more, I would imagine the best end result would be to apply a stain blocking primer to seal, and then repainting with your desired color. TSP is great, but if not diluted and used properly it can mar the sheen of the walls. In my experience, a careful hand has successfully cleaned even glossier finishes with no problems.

Do you know the cause of the yellowing?
Paintish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 07:53 AM   #9

painting problem

Sounds like Aric Outlaw is right on! Without more information its most likely either stains leaching from the wood or oil paint or even pigmented lacquer that is turning yellow. The only solution to these problems is to re-paint.

Another thing to consider when re-painting is how that existing surface is prepped prior to painting. My recommendation is to lightly sand and clean to create "tooth" for a stain blocking primer such as oil based cover stain to bite into whatever is currently on the woodwork. You could use a water based primer but you need to do a small test and let it sit overnight to make sure that you have adequate adhesion as well you will also want to paint a small area to ensure that this yellow stain does not re-appear. Most stains that can leach out of wood are water soluble and will come right through the finish coat. That's when you need to go with an oil stain blocking primer. For the top coat I would recommend going with a acrylic modified urethane (water based paint) like PPG's Manor Hall. It will dry hard like an oil but will not turn yellow (amber). If your in the Portland Oregon area Rodda also has a good Urethane Acrylic that is a little easier to find as there is only 1 store that I know of that has Pittsburgh Paint in Portland. If this does not solve the problem then something else is happening and more info will be needed.

www.PearPainters.com
Pearl Painters Portland Oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aric Outlaw View Post
Faron, Decodi is looking for a solution. If you're not part of the solution then you're part of the problem. Hopefully you do not tell all your customers that there's nothing they can do. If so then they're going to the next hardware store to get their problems solved.

Decodi...What Faron said is absolutely true with regards to oil paint. Hence more information needed. If you have oil paint then you must simply re-paint. If however you are painting with latex or the yellowing paint is latex then it's an entirely different story. Real world experience has shown us all that the sap and tannins coming from wood WILL come through and discolor ANY light color paint. These areas must first be properly sealed. If this is the case with your condition then go to ACE hardware and Faron will hook you up with some stain blocking primer to encapsulate these areas. Or you may try a paint specific store like Sherwin Williams or Miller Paint. Then you may re-paint these areas. Please let us know of your finding and results as other people reading this thread have the same problem and looking for a suitable solution other than washing.
Pearl Painters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 09:00 PM   #10
Enough is Enough

painting problem

Prepping is everything.
H. A. S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:34 AM   #11

painting problem

I have a similar issue to this one. I bought a house that needs quite a bit of cosmetic work. One of the bedroom doors was painted white, the rest are stained. It looks like the white door was never primed before painting. You can see the yellow from the stain coming through.

My wife wants all the stained doors and trims to be painted white. How do I resolve this one door? The rest I will sand, prime and paint but with this one I am stumped.

Do I still have to sand, prime and paint or do I need to attempt to strip the existing paint? Or can I just prime over and paint? It's hard to say for sure what the paint is on there, at a guess I would say it looks to be a latex paint because the grain is slightly raised compared to the other doors.

I can do the get it right first time stuff no problem, I just have no idea how to recover from other people's mistakes...
timbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:58 PM   #12

painting problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbag View Post
I have a similar issue to this one. I bought a house that needs quite a bit of cosmetic work. One of the bedroom doors was painted white, the rest are stained. It looks like the white door was never primed before painting. You can see the yellow from the stain coming through.

My wife wants all the stained doors and trims to be painted white. How do I resolve this one door? The rest I will sand, prime and paint but with this one I am stumped.

Do I still have to sand, prime and paint or do I need to attempt to strip the existing paint? Or can I just prime over and paint? It's hard to say for sure what the paint is on there, at a guess I would say it looks to be a latex paint because the grain is slightly raised compared to the other doors.

I can do the get it right first time stuff no problem, I just have no idea how to recover from other people's mistakes...
I would sand, prime and re-paint... Here is a link to 2 different videos that should help.
http://pearlpainters.com/portland-ho...-how-to-videos
Pearl Painters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:18 PM   #13

painting problem

Aric Outlaw & Pearl Painters-
You guy(s) just both joined from Portland, OR...and are tag-teaming a long-time member all of a sudden?!

I REALIZE Decodi is looking for a solution.
* Sometimes there ISN'T a solution. Other than re-painting with 100% Acrylic....
* Again...if it's an Alkyd paint, nothing will stop the yellowing.
* For yellow stains that are bleeding through, like Timbag's situation, a shellac-based primer like Zinsser's BIN will prevent that. Then paint over with 100% Acrylic.
* Timbag- No need to strip what's there if it's well adhered. Scuff-sand, remove dust, prime with BIN, then 2 coats of at least a Satin-sheen 100% Acrylic paint.

Faron
Faron79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Faron79 For This Useful Post:
timbag (12-30-2010)
Old 12-30-2010, 04:18 PM   #14

painting problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faron79 View Post
Aric Outlaw & Pearl Painters-
You guy(s) just both joined from Portland, OR...and are tag-teaming a long-time member all of a sudden?!

I REALIZE Decodi is looking for a solution.
* Sometimes there ISN'T a solution. Other than re-painting with 100% Acrylic....
* Again...if it's an Alkyd paint, nothing will stop the yellowing.
* For yellow stains that are bleeding through, like Timbag's situation, a shellac-based primer like Zinsser's BIN will prevent that. Then paint over with 100% Acrylic.
* Timbag- No need to strip what's there if it's well adhered. Scuff-sand, remove dust, prime with BIN, then 2 coats of at least a Satin-sheen 100% Acrylic paint.

Faron
Thanks for the suggestion been too busy with the holidays to focus on this but much appreciated! The paint on there is adhered well, so that is great news! Happy new year to you!

timbag is offline   Reply With Quote