Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-04-2010, 06:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Painting Problem

I have a 20X25 living area which for 30 years had a popcorn ceiling. I had the popcorn taken off, the ceiling sanded, and some areas remudded.

Then I hired an unprofessional painter who did what I asked. He put Lowe's eggshell paint on the ceiling (no primer), two coats. The ceiling looked terrible. We then got advice and told the painter to put on the primer for that particular paint. Then he put on two more coats of eggshell paint. It still looked terrible.

We hired a professional. He said that we needed to put flat paint on the ceiling, so we bought more primer and flat paint. This professional decided that we didn't need a primer, so he just rolled on two coats of flat paint. It looked terrible. So, he sprayed two coats of Sherwin Williams paint. It looked terrible.

Then he rolled another coat of Sherwin Williams paint. It still has dark steaks and roller marks. It now looks worse than terrible.

What do we do?

Jack

jacksonalbany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:16 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,002

Painting Problem

Start off by buying stock in the paint stores. Just kidding. What looks terrible about the ceiling? Do you have some pictures you can post? Are you seeing the areas that were patched showing through?
Mike Hawkins

firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:30 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Painting Problem

put the popcorn back

sorry I have a sick sence of hummmmer....

can you post some pics... ? did any of the paint coats have time to cure?

give it some time to let what is up there cure. 21 + days with all the coats you have

consider
fresh start & ceiling white BM.
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:44 AM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,192

Painting Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bob View Post
put the popcorn back

sorry I have a sick sence of hummmmer....

can you post some pics... ? did any of the paint coats have time to cure?

give it some time to let what is up there cure. 21 + days with all the coats you have

consider
fresh start & ceiling white BM.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Big Bob (03-05-2010)
Old 03-05-2010, 08:36 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

Painting Problem

It's a bit hard to detemine what the problem is since "it looks terrible" isn't specific enough to tell you what the problem might be that caused that reaction.

I'm going to have to assume that the ceiling itself looks flat and you can't see nail holes, drywall joints, tape mark indentations, different levels etc as if someone had just put up new drywall - even though that's what you may see. Remember, popcorn ceilings were a fashion statement in the day - and it also covered many imperfections. So assuming it looks flat, the texture may be what's getting your goat and suggesting to the various painters involved that priming/painting was the (only) solution.

Popcorn textures 'back when had all sorts of things in them from asbestos to glue. I'd consider this a risky job - but I'd probably need help. I have seen cases where new 1/4" drywall coverage was the best solution...

IMO, if the popcorn texture has been removed then you'd almost have to fill in imperfections with diluted joint compound, like a sand coat, in order for it to appear and become uniform. If that is done, then a primer would be necessary to even out the texture differences between joint compound, and joint compound+bare ceiling. The fillers in even cheap primers would see to that...but better primers would almost guarantee it.

Then you'd follow that with a good paint to make sure the pigments in that fill the texture in the primer, so to speak. Now that should give you a uniform texture, but as I mentioned, even a smooth texture over impertions will still make it "look terrible..." better but still not good enough.

So what do you see exactly?
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:58 PM   #6
Sprayboy-services.com

Rewards Points: 75

Painting Problem

Spray it! No more roller marks. Next time prime bare mud first.
Sprayboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:27 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,058

Painting Problem

I lost count of how many coats are on there.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:45 AM   #8
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

Painting Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewt1970
I lost count of how many coats are on there.
Considering it was never primed before the first coat of paint went on, I'd say the answer to the coat count is "high enough that the whole thing might fall off right down to the drywall with the next coat"
(...which thinking about it...actually...in this case...well, it might not really be a bad thing)

Def. want to let this bad boy cure for a few weeks, there's way too many coatings on there (I'm assuming this process happened over weeks not years)

Def. need a better description of "looks terrible"

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint interior house