Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-14-2011, 12:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Painting Problem!

Recently painted my living room. I taped very well around the door frames and window frames. (1948 house) The problem is that the paint completely soaks into whatever caulking is around the frames and peels off the paint when I remove the tape. What can I do to get the painting job done?

trhendu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:09 PM   #2

Painting Problem!

NOt quite following here.......perhaps a picture or two would help us help you. I don't know how confident you are in your painting abilities, but, you could certainly NOT USE the tape if it's pulling off paint from the walls. A good trim brush (with practice and patience) can get you close to the trim without putting paint on the trim. Then you could lose the masking tape. If paint is soaking into the caulking as you describe and you still want to mask off, you may need to put a bonding primer onto the dried caulk so it gets sealed up and quits absorbing the paint. Personally, I would just freehand it so I wouldn't need any masking tape at all.

Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:15 PM   #3

Painting Problem!

Don't use tape. Problem solved.
michaelcherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:47 PM   #4
Rubbin walls since'79

Painting Problem!

If the paint is easily peeling off the caulk- ( soaking in is kinda throwing me..) I am suspicious that someone used the dreaded silicone caulk.
Does paint-water, anything bead up on the caulk? If so - that is the problem.
And a cursed problem it is- hard to fix- so one again I will say to whoever listens-
DON"T USE !100% UNPAINTABLE Silicone caulk unless you really know why you are doing it and what that means!!
Meanwhile- check it out and see if that looks like the problem.. I'll hold more rant till later..
Gymschu (09-14-2011)
Old 09-14-2011, 07:41 PM   #5
Stairguy

Painting Problem!

if your using latex paint and masking off with blue tape you need to take off tape while the paint is still wet. Latex paint dries very fast, so you need to take the tape off in, oh lets say 5 min, or you risk peeling paint off the wall. If you need to apply second coat, your screwed. So, eliminate the tape, buy a decent brush and cut in free hand. You will probably save time in the long run anyway.
Millertyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 02:15 AM   #6
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2

Painting Problem!

Just to add my 2 cents. If you must use tape and it is pulling the paint off the wall, then the paint on the wall was not applied properly or you are taping before it has cured properly. Tape will not pull old paint off of a properly painted wall

chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote