Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-15-2013, 05:39 PM   #1

Share |

Painting a Prefinished Fiberglass Front Door

Our expensive Fiberglas exterior front door came with a high quality medium oak stain finish. Because of exterior changes our decorator has suggested the door be painted a solid color.

Questions:
  1. Can this door be refinished?
  2. Is there a method to paint the door while preserving the original stained finish?
  3. Is there any type of colored wrap such as used on vehicles that can be applied to the door while protecting the original stained finish?

sore thumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:41 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Be back at you but you might try the search engine for this site. This topic comes up almost every week.

One aspect of your question is different though. Of course you could vinyl wrap the door. I would talk to a large output graphics supplier in your area that does vehicles and things to see about your options. Whether the adhesive would destroy what is on the door over time would be my first question to them.

You can buy solid color vinyl or patterns online as well and the places will have support lines.

Last edited by user1007; 08-15-2013 at 06:44 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
sore thumb (08-15-2013)
Old 08-15-2013, 07:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Be back at you but you might try the search engine for this site. This topic comes up almost every week.

One aspect of your question is different though. Of course you could vinyl wrap the door. I would talk to a large output graphics supplier in your area that does vehicles and things to see about your options. Whether the adhesive would destroy what is on the door over time would be my first question to them.

You can buy solid color vinyl or patterns online as well and the places will have support lines.
You are very astute. I have just sent an email to a commerical "wrapping" service. Thanks for your reply.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:47 PM   #4
handpaintedbysteve.com

The first thing I would do is tell your decorator what she can do with painted door idea. Secondly, the adhesive supporting the vinyl wrap is very aggressive. This is why we have the blue tape for delicate surfaces and it is a delicate surface. Third, if you decide to paint the door, the only way you will ever see the wood look again is to strip the door to the fiberglass by using a stripper formulated for fiberglass. Now you can start all over from scratch, but don’t forget to remember your decorator’s name for convincing you to paint it in the first place.
spraygunn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spraygunn For This Useful Post:
sore thumb (08-15-2013), user1007 (08-15-2013)
Old 08-15-2013, 07:55 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spraygunn View Post
The first thing I would do is tell your decorator what she can do with painted door idea. Secondly, the adhesive supporting the vinyl wrap is very aggressive. This is why we have the blue tape for delicate surfaces and it is a delicate surface. Third, if you decide to paint the door, the only way you will ever see the wood look again is to strip the door to the fiberglass by using a stripper formulated for fiberglass. Now you can start all over from scratch, but don’t forget to remember your decorator’s name for convincing you to paint it in the first place.
This is why I suggest he ask but vinyl wrapping a fiberglass door may actually make more sense than trying to paint it inside as storm door, in the sun, especially.

I doubt the original surface could ever be reclaimed though, but I do not know.

And if you are going to wrap in vehicle type vinyl. I would be so tempted to come up with something more clever than a solid color.

I have issues with interior decorators too. Interior people that work for me are ASID type interior designers that can actually draw and read blueprints if pushed. Any housewife or house-husband with a paint fan can call themselves a decorator. If they can also sew and stuff silly pillows. And are into doilies.

Last edited by user1007; 08-15-2013 at 07:59 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
sore thumb (08-15-2013)
Old 08-15-2013, 09:47 PM   #6

I do believe you two have convinced me to ignore the "painted" door folly. Will not be difficult to convince my wife since she was doubtful of the idea all along.

Again, thank you both and good night.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
I have issues with interior decorators too. Interior people that work for me are ASID type interior designers that can actually draw and read blueprints if pushed. Any housewife or house-husband with a paint fan can call themselves a decorator.
Some people think interior designers/decorators are like real estate agents/Realtors. Interior designers are degreed professionals. Decorators... well like you said, they have a paint fan.

jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffnc For This Useful Post:
sore thumb (08-17-2013)