Painting Porch Rockers - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-27-2014, 07:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 620

Painting porch rockers

Of which we have five! Currently white, some type of what appears to be a baked on finish, no chipping, flaking, or whatever but they are white and the finish has been discolored by what appears to be black mold. I've washed with the usual things like tsp, etc., bleached with Clorox etc, and no joy. So the wife wants them painted a different color. Suggestions as to how to prepare the surface withOUT using stripper and also as to paint and primer welcome. Ron

Advertisement

ront02769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:23 PM   #2
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,222

Painting porch rockers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ront02769 View Post
Of which we have five! Currently white, some type of what appears to be a baked on finish, no chipping, flaking, or whatever but they are white and the finish has been discolored by what appears to be black mold. I've washed with the usual things like tsp, etc., bleached with Clorox etc, and no joy. So the wife wants them painted a different color. Suggestions as to how to prepare the surface withOUT using stripper and also as to paint and primer welcome. Ron
Can you tell if it is a surface contaniment....

I do have some discoloration on powder coated (sounds like yours) from pine trees etc.

You said you've tried TSP etc.... have you used solvents... acetone.. laquer thinner...???

Advertisement

Old 08-27-2014, 08:41 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,294

Painting porch rockers

Marinate them in a good cleaner, something like Krud Kutter, the Boss, Simple Green. Put them in a shady area. Wet them with your garden hose. Load up a garden pump sprayer with some diluted cleaner (like the ones listed) and spray/douse them with the contents of the sprayer. Keep pumping the cleaner on them every 5 - 10 minutes or when the cleaner looks like it's beginning to dry. Use a nylon brush on the stubborn stains. The diluted cleaner will remove lots of the krud without elbow grease. Then pressure wash them with gentle pressure, something in the 1500 psi range being careful not to damage the surface. If they are metal, you won't have to worry so much about damaging the surface, like you would have to with wooden rockers.

This method has yet to fail me in 35 years.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:06 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 620

Painting porch rockers

My bad on the description, they are wood. And it is not pine tar, whatever since they sit undercover...and we don't have any pines nearby. And it appears to be not ON the surface....but IN it. Ron
ront02769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:33 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,294

Painting porch rockers

Just sounds like mold or mildew which comes in many forms. It can be black, green, dark green, etc. The black mold that takes hold on wood is feasting on the organic material on/in the wood such as paint, sealer, toner, etc. Yes it basically is embedded in the wood. That kind usually takes some aggressive scrubbing to loosen its' grip. Like I said, as a painter, I've had to deal with mold and mildew for 35 years and I can't recall a time where I couldn't get it off using my "marinade" of cleaners. Sometimes it can be a battle, but, something like Krud Kutter kills the mold and the spores thus stopping the continued growth.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote