Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-31-2005, 04:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Painting plywood?

In my 200+ yr old house, some yahoo replaced the wide pine floor boards with plywood in the entrance hall.

Since, we're retired, our means doesn't stretch to replacing. I would like to paint the floor decorating the floor with a stenciled pattern (very in keeping with the age of the house).

My DH says it's impossible to paint plywood so it looks good.

My question: Is there anyway to paint a plywood floor?

Thanks

yarnexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 06:43 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Painting plywood?

yarnexpress

In low traffic conditions a painted floor hoods up relatively well. Plywood will except a paint well. Although most floor grade plywood surfaces are relatively rough and it most likely will look like a painted plywood floor. It is possible to smooth with filler and sanding (cost and time). I think a enamel paint wood give of fair wear life but better yet wood be one of the epoxy floor paints. If you do plan of making art work on it the I would stick to your basic latex paints and after the project is completed cover the area with a floor grade polyurethane. You may find after pricing it, It may be possible to lay a peel and stick tile squares at less cost. With the right style shouldn't hurt keeping with the house any more then the plywood?

Old 04-02-2005, 09:22 PM   #3

Painting plywood?

Thanks for the advice. I'll take a look at peel & stick floor tile. Now that I think of it, many houses of this age had entrance halls with painted floors simulating marble, squares of black or dark gray with black. So maybe that would work. (I think Martha Stewart's CT farmhouse has gray & white painted squares in the hallway.)

I should be able to come close to this look with peel & stick tiles. This is probably the most cost effective solution. (I know I won't be completely happy until I replace this floor. I have beautiful pine boards in my carrage house that I can use. I wonder what it would cost to have someone lay them. It's a nuisance not to be able to undertake this work ourselves but it's too heavy.)

Once again thank you. You've got me thinking!
yarnexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 07:51 PM   #4

Painting plywood?

Only personal experience here, but peel and stick tiles are terrible. The glue never "sets up" and ugly gaps open up...
knowltondata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 09:03 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Painting plywood?

Knowitondata

This is not totally true. Peel and stick by no means are a "good quality" But I have seen many cases were they do hold up well (3-8 years) when properly installed. Paint on plywood .(very short term solution) was what I was trying to find a cost effective alterative for. You have a lot of insight and experience can you offer any cost effective advise for yarnexpress, or at least give some advise on the painting of their plywood floors for the best/cost quality they are looking for?