Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-02-2013, 08:00 AM   #1

Share |

painting plasterboard ceilings - advice needed

I am a completely new when it comes to painting interiors, and have just taken the challenge of painting my entire house interior. I have encountered a problem which I need some advice with.

The house is about 35 years old, and most of the ceilings appear to have never been painted in that time. The ceilings are plasterboard, and generally good condition. Visually the paint, although faded and old-looking, looks okay - not chipping or peeling.

After cleaning with sugar soap, I started rolling (with Dulux ceiling white), some of the bedrooms. In some places, the entire old coat of paint will peel back to bare plasterboard as I am rolling. This is obviously very annoying, because I then have to wait for the paint to dry, scrape back all the loose paint - re-fill the hole with plaster, sand, and paint over again.

Also, in the rooms that have not yet been painted over, when I stick some blue painters tape onto the ceiling, and remove the tape, the paint chips/peels off very easily with the tape (back to bare plaster).
So it appears the original paint has not bonded very well to the plasterboard. When I put the sticky tape on the newly painted areas though (after it has dried of course), the paint will not peel off when I rip the tape off. (So the new paint seems to help bond the old paint).

The problem does not seem to be due to moisture, and exists throughout the entire house.

Now, I have a bit of a dilemma before I start painting the rest of the house, as I don't want to put new coats of paint on, only to have it start falling off again in a few years. Can I, or should I, use some sort of primer that I can apply that will somehow "soak through" the old paint and help it bond to the plasterboard?

Or, am I just worried about nothing - can I just paint straight onto the old paint with regular ceiling white, and just fix the paint that peels off while rolling when it happens? Is my paint job going to last many years without falling to pieces if I do it this way?

I am really trying to avoid having to sand the entire ceilings of my house! But I am happy to put a primer coat first if I know that will help.

Tazski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:56 PM   #2

I would try scraping a couple spots to see if the paint is loose. being 35 years old it could be oil based and the latex is not sticking to it. It could be the water in the latex is loosing the paint. If the paint seems stuck then you may want to try a non-latex primer like BIN or cover stain.

ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:35 PM   #3
paper hanger and painter

1 word

PRIMER
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
user1007 (08-02-2013)
Old 08-02-2013, 07:29 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies.

I think I found just what I need, a product my local hardware sells called Zinsser Peel Stop.

So, my question now is: Is it worth now re-priming, and re-painting the couple of ceilings I have already painted? Although the new paint appears to have bonded the old paint, I really don't know how well it has done so.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
1 word

PRIMER
But will a primer penetrate the old paint (that has potential to flake), and help it adhere?
Old 08-05-2013, 05:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazski

But will a primer penetrate the old paint (that has potential to flake), and help it adhere?
No. There is no such miracle product.
I wish there was, but it just isn't possible.

Once there is a non bonded coat, the only real solution is to remove that coat.. Multiple coats are only as strong as the weakest link.

Jmayspaint is offline   Reply With Quote