Painting Plan - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-14-2013, 12:15 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Painting Plan

So I am painting tomorrow and I haven't painted in several years. I am a decent painter with tape :-) but this time I want to try to do it with out tape and and I want to spray the trim. I have watched some good videos and read some great advice on cutting in here on this forum. My question is about spraying the trim.

I owned a rental home once and used to spray quite a bit but I always masked off the walls when spraying trim. We just bought a foreclosure and we plan to paint everything but the ceilings. The carpet will be replaced as well. Also, where I am spraying there is no ceiling trim, only base, windows and doors.

My plan is to spray all the trim with semi-gloss and not mask the carpet or the walls since the carpet will be replaced and we intend to roll the walls.

I am concerned about the "flashing" on the walls from the semi and I am looking for advice.

The steps in my head now are...

1. Spray all the trim and doors with a 213 tip, allowing over-spray on the walls and carpet.
2. Sand wall over spray with 120 grit sand paper.
3. Cut in walls with a brush or pad edger.
4. Power roll walls.
5. Cut in again (second coat)
6. Power roll again (second coat)

Any advice?

David

Advertisement

djonesax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:53 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,240

Painting Plan

If it was me, I would skip the sprayer, pad edger and power roller. Till you get done cleaning up all those tools, you could paint a whole other room.

Advertisement

chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (06-14-2013), joecaption (06-14-2013), MTN REMODEL LLC (06-14-2013)
Old 06-14-2013, 04:10 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 712

Painting Plan

I could not agree more.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:02 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Painting Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by djonesax
So I am painting tomorrow and I haven't painted in several years. I am a decent painter with tape :-) but this time I want to try to do it with out tape and and I want to spray the trim.

My plan is to spray all the trim with semi-gloss and not mask the carpet or the walls since the carpet will be replaced and we intend to roll the walls.

I am concerned about the "flashing" on the walls from the semi and I am looking for advice.

The steps in my head now are...

1. Spray all the trim and doors with a 213 tip, allowing over-spray on the walls and carpet.
2. Sand wall over spray with 120 grit sand paper.
3. Cut in walls with a brush or pad edger.
4. Power roll walls.
5. Cut in again (second coat)
6. Power roll again (second coat)

Any advice?

David

That sounds like a pretty good plan to me.
Be thorough with step #2 , scuffing the semi-gloss overspray well will help both flashing and coverage.
If you have a helper, it can be beneficial to have them hold up a big piece of cardboard on the wall next to the trim to 'shield ' the wall from overspray to an extent. Just cuts down on sanding, not generally necessary.
The only thing I might suggest changing is swap steps 3 an 4.
If I'm doing two coats on walls, it helps me to roll the first coat before cutting in and roll as close to trim and ceilings as I can. This reduces the amount of area you have to cut in the first time. And reduces coat overlap to an extent, promoting a more uniform finish.
I generally like to cut first on the final coat so you can roll over the brush strokes for the most part.
So maybe; 3-roll, 4-cut, 5-cut, 6-roll

Good luck!
Jmayspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:53 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 512

Painting Plan

ya i'd just cut and roll everything. if you have a helpers i'd roll the trim and doors with a regular paint roller and have a guy come in right in behind you with a brush to smooth it out. it'll only take 20min a door per coat. so figure in 1 hr per door the extra cigs and texting haha!
and you'd be surprised how dirty the ceiling get. if your going that far i'd paint the ceiling, it'll make it looks much better.
princelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:36 PM   #6
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,240

Painting Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmayspaint View Post
That sounds like a pretty good plan to me.
Be thorough with step #2 , scuffing the semi-gloss overspray well will help both flashing and coverage.
If you have a helper, it can be beneficial to have them hold up a big piece of cardboard on the wall next to the trim to 'shield ' the wall from overspray to an extent. Just cuts down on sanding, not generally necessary.
The only thing I might suggest changing is swap steps 3 an 4.
If I'm doing two coats on walls, it helps me to roll the first coat before cutting in and roll as close to trim and ceilings as I can. This reduces the amount of area you have to cut in the first time. And reduces coat overlap to an extent, promoting a more uniform finish.
I generally like to cut first on the final coat so you can roll over the brush strokes for the most part.
So maybe; 3-roll, 4-cut, 5-cut, 6-roll

Good luck!

Soooooo, you advocate the use of a power roller and paint pads???
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:29 PM   #7

Painting Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn

Soooooo, you advocate the use of a power roller and paint pads???
Never used a pad myself, but DIYers seem to like um. Whatever works. Just don't flush the used pad down the toilet.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:25 PM   #8

Painting Plan

So I sprayed all the doors and trim on a couple hours. To ease my wifes concerns we papered off a few rooms but that got old quick and we skipped the other rooms. As adviced we sanded off the sheen on the over spray and the wall paint covered it with no issues at all. I was surprised at my cut in ability, in fact I dont think I will ever tape again other than the baseboards. For me it was easier to quickly tape off the baseboards than the to have to contort my self to see what I was painting.

I leaned something else watching a pro that was doing the tall walls. He used a 3" brush for cutting in. I was using a 2" and it was taking longer so I picked up a new 3" square brush at HD. Once I got used to it, I could fly through the cut-ins and could paint just as straight, if not straighter. My wife used an edging pad but I just brushed everything.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:13 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,692

Painting Plan

Not trying to start an argument, But would someone please explain this god-awful amount of time referred to for cleaning spray equipment. As I sure must be doing it wrong.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:29 AM   #10

Painting Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker
Not trying to start an argument, But would someone please explain this god-awful amount of time referred to for cleaning spray equipment. As I sure must be doing it wrong.
To me it doesn't really take any more effort than washing a brush and roller set up.... Of course, you can just throw away brush and roller
The Following User Says Thank You to Jmayspaint For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (06-27-2013)
Old 06-27-2013, 07:53 AM   #11

Painting Plan

The only thing I can think of is the old spray equip. like the buzz sprayers you had to disassemble to clean. I agree about the same as cleaning brush and roller.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:08 AM   #12

Painting Plan

If I hook the pickup tube to a hose and spray water the clean up is fast but I typically just put the pickup and return tube into a clean toilet, set the sprayer to clean, then just keep flushing it until the water is clear. That may sound a little gross but it takes about the same amount of time as hooking it up to a hose.

David
Old 06-28-2013, 07:50 AM   #13

Painting Plan

And if you use the right equipment masking is a non-issue.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:01 AM   #14
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Painting Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
And if you use the right equipment masking is a non-issue.
Try it in an antique home with persion rugs and high end furniture and tell me again that spraying is faster and that masking everything is a non-issue.

And remind me how well it works when cutting in color to color.

Spraying has its place. The last time my California home was painted it was sprayed and looked great but I was selling it. I have mentioned before I usually sub out spray work. No color changes. It was empty until I leased furniture on a short term basis to stage and sell it.

Wagner would have the consumer believe they can spray anything with a Harbor Freight handheld thing, or a cheap toy of their own making. It does not work that way.

My direct experience is in the fine and commercial art world and I would never trust just rinsing out $400 worth of airbrush on rare instances where I sprayed acrylic latex with just water. Even so I went through a fair number of needles and spray tips on a regular basis.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
cdaniels (06-28-2013)
Old 06-28-2013, 12:57 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 250

Painting Plan

I agree that spraying has it's place but on occupied interiors I never spray, too much hassle for me but what works for me might not work for you.To each their own.

Advertisement

chrisn (06-28-2013), user1007 (06-29-2013)