Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-14-2010, 05:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150
Question

Painting patch in bathroom

Dear all, I have a similar (but different) situation that I would like to have your advice.

Recently we dug a hole on the ceiling of our bathroom, and we managed to "drywall" patch it back. Now that we have to paint it over (the ceiling of the bathroom), and I forgot that this is a "bathroom" and we previously used oil-based paint in this room. So I used the primer that we had in hand (Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3 Water-Base Primer-Sealer) and just painted it over the old paint and the dry wall. I noticed that the paint didn't stick well right away, but I still tried to use this primer to cover the whole ceiling. Here are my questions:

1. Should I try to remove this water-based primer, before I put up the top-coat of the paint?? If I DO NOT have to remove the current primer paint, could I directly paint over this water-based primer with oil-based top-coat paint??

2. What would be the best way to move forward at this point??

Thanks!

ohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:26 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Paint the ceiling in latex, make sure to use one with a sheen. Rule of thumb, which might be argued is, Latex over oil. Not oil over latex.

mark942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:51 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohman View Post
Dear all, I have a similar (but different) situation that I would like to have your advice.

Recently we dug a hole on the ceiling of our bathroom, and we managed to "drywall" patch it back. Now that we have to paint it over (the ceiling of the bathroom), and I forgot that this is a "bathroom" and we previously used oil-based paint in this room. So I used the primer that we had in hand (Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3 Water-Base Primer-Sealer) and just painted it over the old paint and the dry wall. I noticed that the paint didn't stick well right away, but I still tried to use this primer to cover the whole ceiling. Here are my questions:

1. Should I try to remove this water-based primer, before I put up the top-coat of the paint?? If I DO NOT have to remove the current primer paint, could I directly paint over this water-based primer with oil-based top-coat paint??

2. What would be the best way to move forward at this point??

Thanks!
The only way I know how to remove the latex paint is to mix 1 gallon of warm water and 1 tbsp. of liquid dish-washing soap. Mix the two. Saturate a sponge in the mixture and wring out the excess liquid so the sponge is damp, not soggy. Now roll up your sleeves and start scrubbing the walls with the sponge to remove the latex paint. Keep scrubbing the walls and peeling away any loose latex paint from the walls until all latex paint is removed. If you have some stubborn latex paint that won’t come off then pour a mild paint stripper into a plastic paint tray (wear rubber gloves when working with paint strippers) dip a paintbrush into the mild paint stripper and apply it to the latex paint and make sure you have proper air ventilation during this paint removal process.

Allow the paint stripper to sit on the wall for the predetermined time. Each brand of paint stripper has its own specific time frame. However, paint strippers typically need 20 to 30 minutes to soften the latex paint. When the paint is softened enough remove the paint stripper and softened latex paint from the walls by using a plastic paint scraper then wipe the chemical and paint off the scraper with either a damp towel or some paper towels after each pass. Continue in this manner until you have removed all latex paint from the oil-based paint. Now wash the walls clean to remove any paint stripper residue with a solution of 1 gallon of water and 1 tbsp. of liquid dish soap by using a lint-free cloth saturated in the mixture to thoroughly clean the walls and allow the walls to dry completely before you apply any paint on the walls.

epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 06:50 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark942 View Post
Paint the ceiling in latex, make sure to use one with a sheen. Rule of thumb, which might be argued is, Latex over oil. Not oil over latex.
So NOT a good idea to remove the latex primer first, then paint over oil-based primer, then finally oil-based top-coat?? Thanks
ohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:09 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,060

See if you can scratch off the primer easily. If you can, scrape it all off and prime it with oil base primer. Then you can finish paint with either.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote