Painting Over Wood Paneling - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-08-2010, 10:48 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Painting over wood paneling

I need to know how to paint over wood paneling, do I need to use a primer first and if so, what kind any help would be great

Advertisement

nanakellee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:13 AM   #2

If any kind of oil or wax like Liquid Gold or Pledge was used on it, you'll need a good cleaner like TSP or the like.

I'd use a good oil based STAIN BLOCK primer with a latex top coat.

Painted paneling actually look pretty nice!

Advertisement

BobKbta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:25 PM   #3
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,224

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKbta View Post
If any kind of oil or wax like Liquid Gold or Pledge was used on it, you'll need a good cleaner like TSP or the like.

I'd use a good oil based STAIN BLOCK primer with a latex top coat.

Painted paneling actually look pretty nice!

Keep in mind that this person also said

"
Even though BEHR is Home Depot's own brand, it is by far the best paint I've ever used. The rest of the post would be correct
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:43 PM   #4
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 538

Clean with tsp, use a bonding primer, which does not necessarily have to be oil base, now days there are plenty of water base products that are safer for the environment and will perform just as well as oil base products, oil base products are fading out.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:07 PM   #5
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

Depends on the "paneling"
For many, a good clean, scuff sand, and oil primer should lay the foundation
For that groovy dark and shiny '70s stuff, I'd clean and scuff, and then shellac (Zinsser's BIN) before painting
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 05:22 AM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Do remember, cheap painted over paneling, rather like painted over wallpaper , will always look like cheap painted over paneling. Sure you don't want to pull it off if you can?
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:06 AM   #7

I painted some dark paneling in my parents basement
Removing it wasn't an option & it came out nice
Brightened the room up with very little work
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:58 AM   #8

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanakellee View Post
I need to know how to paint over wood paneling, do I need to use a primer first and if so, what kind any help would be great
Someone asked where the paneling was located...its in the family room. I don't know how to insert a pic.
nanakellee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 01:42 PM   #9
If its ugly.. Paint it!

Painting paneling is always fun. Like others here Id recommend a stain blocker primer ( Zinsser brand is optimum) I personally use their oil base primer Cover Stain (although they make great latex primers also) for projects like yours. After you get it primed is when the actual fun starts because every little crack, seam-line, nail hole, nook & cranny will show up with the lighter color. Prepping & caulking well (along with quality paint) at this stage is what really counts for a great finish. Good luck!

Last edited by brushmonkey; 03-14-2010 at 03:23 PM.
brushmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:28 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickshift View Post
Depends on the "paneling"
For many, a good clean, scuff sand, and oil primer should lay the foundation
For that groovy dark and shiny '70s stuff, I'd clean and scuff, and then shellac (Zinsser's BIN) before painting
This is exactly what I did 4 years ago when we moved here. LOTS of that 70s shiny stuff. I didn't do much sanding or cleaning for that matter since there was a huge amount (OK I admit I was abit lazy) but I used BIN, let it dry for several days and Behr for the paint which was much better than Valspar which I initially used but seemed to chip more often. I also recommend paint with a touch of gloss in it. For me I'm very happy with the results and wouldn't dream of tearing out the panelling now. If anything I would eventually cover it in that paintable textured wall paper. If you are able to sand at least in areas where stuff could bump the walls, i would take the extra time because I do have to touch up pretty often with 2 active little boys banging around.
annie68164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:32 PM   #11
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie68164 View Post
This is exactly what I did 4 years ago when we moved here. LOTS of that 70s shiny stuff. I didn't do much sanding or cleaning for that matter since there was a huge amount (OK I admit I was abit lazy) but I used BIN, let it dry for several days and Behr for the paint which was much better than Valspar which I initially used but seemed to chip more often. I also recommend paint with a touch of gloss in it. For me I'm very happy with the results and wouldn't dream of tearing out the panelling now. If anything I would eventually cover it in that paintable textured wall paper. If you are able to sand at least in areas where stuff could bump the walls, i would take the extra time because I do have to touch up pretty often with 2 active little boys banging around.

If you eventually go the route of wall paper, be sure, very sure, that the paneling is REALLY tight to the wall. The wall paper when drying will tend to pull the paneling loose.Trust me I have seen it a lot.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:46 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
If you eventually go the route of wall paper, be sure, very sure, that the paneling is REALLY tight to the wall. The wall paper when drying will tend to pull the paneling loose.Trust me I have seen it a lot.
Wow, never thought of that, makes sense. Ours is so old I wouldn't say it's very tight we'd have to add alot more nails or something. thanks for the input!
annie68164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 04:51 AM   #13
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie68164 View Post
Wow, never thought of that, makes sense. Ours is so old I wouldn't say it's very tight we'd have to add alot more nails or something. thanks for the input!
You're welcome.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:56 PM   #14
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,018

In our last house I painted two rooms of paneling an antique white. I think they turned out nice. Yes, it looked like painted paneling but it was a rustic home, so it fit.
The seams where one sheet of paneling met the next was an issue for me. It showed as a black line against the white paint. I solved it by caulking these seams, and along the top molding.

Advertisement

Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote