Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-27-2008, 11:16 AM   #1

Share |

painting over wallpapered drywall.

i recently bought a 1999 manufactured home.the whole inside was painted white.the walls had some kind of wallpaper on entire house.i see no peeling anywhere.i would like to fill all seems and put knockdown texture on entire house.can anybody tell me if its ok to shoot and mud walls just the way it is?thanks...

glassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 03:43 PM   #2
Pro Painter

Although I haven't done a lot of research on the panels, I have done quite a bit of work on those homes.

The vinyl paper on the walls doesn't typically fall into the same category as wall paper over drywall. You don't have to worry about priming with a sovent based product. You don't have to worry about bubbling, unless the paper has been torn, which yours isn't.

I don't recommend filling the joints with mud, as they aren't stable in the current condition. I haven't tried it, but caulking them first MAY help, but it's a lot of work and there are no guarantees. They are attached with staples, also unstable, so don't worry about filling them. I've done that and the staples just pop through again. Filling obvious, or deep holes with putty will help the appearance, but trying to get them to disappear won't work.

If you really want to make the seams disappear, drywall over the whole project.
One job I did was panelled with wood. I filled the joints and used the blank wallpaper with the texture on it already. It's fairly inexpensive, paintable and almost indistiguishable from the sprayed texture. This may also be an option for you and will be easier since there are less joints to fill. The concern is that mud will crack, and that doesn't matter if it wallpapered. I would recommend this method for you.

There are two types of textured paper, one is thicker than the other. My customer went with the thin, but I really wish they would have gone with the thicker. The thin is really inexpensive and the thick is not very expensive.

Good luck.

Last edited by joewho; 01-27-2008 at 03:45 PM.
joewho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 09:02 PM   #3

Thanks Joewho Appreciate The Info..
glassman is offline   Reply With Quote