Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-26-2012, 11:22 AM   #1

Share |

Painting over wallpaper that was (mostly) removed ?

So the previous owner had this horrible wallpaper - actually installed it on top of another layer of wallpaper. We have removed the wallpaper - it actually came of much easier than anticipated. However what remained were "edges" of glue and older wallpaper. So we scraped and sanded as much as we could and have it much cleaner. However there are still some 'edges' that will probably show if we just paint over it now.

What is teh best way to paint this? Should we put a thin layer of Wallpaper mud and sand that first? Could we just apply a thick layer of PRIMER paint to it? Sand THAT then paint?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

cody21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:25 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

If you are absolutely certain you have tried everything to get the remaining paste and paper scraps off---wetting it, steaming it, etc.---and it just will not come off? You are not throwing in the towel too early?

I guess you could prime with Gardz to seal it. Then skim coat to even out those areas so they do not show like linear seams, sand, prime again and then paint.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:38 PM   #3

Well, we really didn't want to go the "steam" approach - we just don't have the equipment and don't want to have to rent one for just 1 wall. Hadn't considered "wetting it" ... I think the stuff that is left is probably the glue -- it is spotty and almost a light gray. So "wetting it"? With a Sponge? Let sit for a while or what is the process?

I thought Gardz is strictly for exposed/ripped drywall. We only have a small (1x2') section of drywall that had the surface ripped off - hoping that a layer or 2 of Primer would address that section ... So you're suggesting to apply GARDZ over the entire area and that should SEAL it?

thanks for the input.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:38 PM   #4
paper hanger and painter

http://www.wallpaperinstaller.com/wa...stripping.html

After removing all the paper that is going to come off, apply the Gardz to the whole wall.Let it dry well, then you will need to skim coat with joint compound ( not Wallpaper mud whatever that is), let it dry, sand, clean and repeat the skimming process until smooth. Apply the Gardz again( it IS a primer) apply 2 finish coats and it's done.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (11-26-2012)
Old 11-26-2012, 05:20 PM   #5

thank you ... (also for clarifying "mud") ... :-)

I went to Home Depot and they don't carry that Gardz sealer ... so the search goes on for it.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody21 View Post
thank you ... (also for clarifying "mud") ... :-)

I went to Home Depot and they don't carry that Gardz sealer ... so the search goes on for it.

Will have to get it from a real hardware/paint store
toastandjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:13 PM   #7

You don't say where you are but where I am in central Fl. it is also very hard to find. I finally found it at a little out of the way paint store. I just finished the same job you are doing and yes you need Gardz. My suggestion when you go to skim coat use the new ultra lite mud. It has a puke green colored lid. Not the bright green lid that is all purpose. You don't even have to thin this mud just stir and apply it's great for skimming.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:21 PM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
You don't say where you are but where I am in central Fl. it is also very hard to find. I finally found it at a little out of the way paint store. I just finished the same job you are doing and yes you need Gardz. My suggestion when you go to skim coat use the new ultra lite mud. It has a puke green colored lid. Not the bright green lid that is all purpose. You don't even have to thin this mud just stir and apply it's great for skimming.
A paint store that carries Zinser products should be able to get some in for you in a day or two. As a last resort, you can order online. Many places have free super saver shipping or free for orders over $50---even for paint.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:23 PM   #9
ltd

hopefully the edges you talk about dont have seam glue or white elmers glue that i run into every now and then.
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:21 PM   #10

SDS the problem where I am is they said you have to order a case. Let me tell you a story, even the big box store wouldn't order it. I found it at a small paint store that would order it for me at $150 for a 5er I went back to HD and they said they couldn't order it to the store but they could order it and have it sent to my house $110 no shipping. Go figure.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:38 AM   #11
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
SDS the problem where I am is they said you have to order a case. Let me tell you a story, even the big box store wouldn't order it. I found it at a small paint store that would order it for me at $150 for a 5er I went back to HD and they said they couldn't order it to the store but they could order it and have it sent to my house $110 no shipping. Go figure.
Just looked at Amazon, just to start, and a bunch of places will ship it.

Last edited by user1007; 11-27-2012 at 01:42 AM.