Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-12-2010, 09:30 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

painting over wallpaper

Hello...Im ready to remodel the whole interior of my moms 20yr old mobile home. The walls are all covered with wallpaper which I wanted to get rid of or paint.
Will it look crappy if i just paint over it? Haha i kno that sounds half and lazy but the walls look ok and in good condition, besides the ugly wallpaper, but I don't know if paint will stick on it good.

It will not peel off easily either as I tried...

Or wud i be better off just re-sheetrocking it? If so, will it be ok to put the new sheetrock over the old so I dont have to gut it out?

Last edited by jambud; 04-12-2010 at 09:53 AM. Reason: accidental profanity word
jambud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:40 AM   #2
Military Mom of 4

painting over wallpaper

I know some people do it by pre-treating with kilz (or another primer) and then painting but in my experience wallpaper, once soaked with paint, will bubble, peel and pull away.
So it's best to just soak it down with a solvent to loosen the glue and scrape off as much as possible.

However, you could just get some hard-board and panel over it, and this would give you a solid surface that's either already patterned to look like tile or other surface - or a flat and smooth surface that can, then, be painted easily,

Old 04-12-2010, 10:50 AM   #3

painting over wallpaper

Occasionally it does make sense to paint over the wall paper. I wouldn't do it if it is heavily embossed or textured. The basic procedure is to paint out all the walls in oil primer to seal down the wallpaper. After it dries, cut out any areas that have bubbled or peeled, prime those cutouts with oil, and fill with drywall mud. You could also skim the walls and any butt seams at this point. Next, prime the walls with latex and finish coat them. Again this should only be done where removal of the covering is not practical or feasible.
Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:13 PM   #4

painting over wallpaper

Appreciate the responses thanks...I've decided to re-sheetrock the whole trailer. I cannot believe what i saw when i took off a sheetrock panel, the way that this mobile home manufacture built this double wide trailer. The studs aren't even 2x4's, there 2x3"s and look like scrap pieces that are warped chipped. The wiring is unacceptable to code as there are splices that are not in a junction box. I remember when my mom bought this trailer in 1993, it looked awesome haha! But man I cant believe that how very cheap they built this, i took out the bathroom sink and that was framed with toothpicks that had no backing or side, they just nailed it to a corner. Haha...dang I had no idea mobile homes were like this..and sell for a lot...they probably spent under 5 grand for all the material...freakin cheaters...
jambud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:27 AM   #5

painting over wallpaper

I have a huge playroom (20x20) covered with a cheap wallpaper. I tried to remove it, but I only did damages to the drywalls because the wallpaper was so well glued to the walls. So I decided to paint over the wallpaper, but I was not very comfortable with the idea. I filled up all the seams with a joint compound and sanded them, which was a messy and long process. After, I primed the walls with a thin layer of good primer. After priming, I used what is called Illusions Sandscapes paint by Sherwin Williams. It is a paint with a very soft sandy finish. I used the process indicated with the special roll and put two coats (you need two coats). The end results of that long work are amazing! You can't tell that there is wall paper underneath and the texture of the walls is very nice, the sandy finish is very subtle. The color choice in that specialized paint is limited though. And yes you can paint with a regular paint over the sandy finish paint and you will get good results. I tried it in the hallway.
margerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 03:19 AM   #6
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 18

painting over wallpaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by margerie View Post
I have a huge playroom (20x20) covered with a cheap wallpaper. I tried to remove it, but I only did damages to the drywalls because the wallpaper was so well glued to the walls. So I decided to paint over the wallpaper, but I was not very comfortable with the idea. I filled up all the seams with a joint compound and sanded them, which was a messy and long process. After, I primed the walls with a thin layer of good primer. After priming, I used what is called Illusions Sandscapes paint by Sherwin Williams. It is a paint with a very soft sandy finish. I used the process indicated with the special roll and put two coats (you need two coats). The end results of that long work are amazing! You can't tell that there is wall paper underneath and the texture of the walls is very nice, the sandy finish is very subtle. The color choice in that specialized paint is limited though. And yes you can paint with a regular paint over the sandy finish paint and you will get good results. I tried it in the hallway.
You were VERY lucky( especially using a latex primer) and it still may pull loose from the wall in the future. Just something to look foreward to!
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 02:49 AM   #7

painting over wallpaper

use a paper tiger to score the wall paper before you add wallpaper remover. tigers are these little hand held rollers that pin hole the holy hell out of wallpaper allowing the remover to set it. once you score it enough with the tiger, apply remover it should peel right off with a putty knife
racebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 07:38 PM   #8

painting over wallpaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
You were VERY lucky( especially using a latex primer) and it still may pull loose from the wall in the future. Just something to look foreward to!
Totally agree. Very lucky not to have been chasing bubbles.

boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote