DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Painting over wallpaper

7K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  joewho 
#1 ·
It really doesn't sound right to me, but here goes anyway. I need some information on if I can paint over wallpaper. I talked with my paint supply guy and he said that there is a primer that can go over the wallpaper in order to paint it. I was going to go through sanding the seams and hitting them with light weight spackle.......sanding........priming and then finally painting. One other reason for just painting it is that it was installed directly over the drywall......we all know that is a nightmare in the making. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Russ

Posting in the Contractor forums too.

#3 ·
It's never a good idea to paint over wall covering
It's only a last resort when there is realistically no other choice
Seriously, actually make an effort to try removal first

If you must, it's sand, solvent-based primer, joint compound, sand repair/jc areas, primer repair/jc areas, paint

#4 ·
It's never a good idea to paint over wall covering
It's only a last resort when there is realistically no other choice
Seriously, actually make an effort to try removal first-slickshift
I could'nt agree (with above) more....this is a question that everyone asks...

The only logical thing to say is (with much hesitation) IF....and only IF you must~anything else is better than painting over wallpaper~anything:yes:

#6 ·
I am planing on redoing my sons room this winter. The previous owners painted over wallpaper...:furious: probably when they were selling the house.
I know its going to be hell on earth, so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas how I could make it a little easier...:eek:

#7 ·
I did this one time... the results looked good for about 10 minutes... and then the paint dried. Agree with above, remove if possible. Talk to your local paint store pro. They have tricks (as well as products) to remove old wall coverings. Yes, it'll cost some bucks, but anything beats painted over wallpaper.

steve

#8 · (Edited)
Wallpaper isn't bad to remove no matter how many layers if you don't go with those wallpaper remover chemicals. The best way to remove wallpaper is as follows. Go to your local rental center and rent a wallpaper steamer. Then go to home improvement store and buy a wallpaper scorer. Its round and has like teeth in it. You take that run it all over the wallpaper EXTREMELY well and then steam it off. Just wait for the steamer to get rocking. If done like this you should be able to get off the most stubborn wallpaper. Then lightly screen the walls and lightly sand go with the special zineers primer which is especially designed primer for a wall which wallpaper just came off of. I can't think of the name of it. Its called zinsser's guardz.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.